. .

Thread: Hi To All

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    For my sins my interests are Clockmaking and my Rover P5b with me since 1973, I am trying to get my head around which way to build a Stepping Divider for either my Myford S7 or my Schaublin 102N.

John.

2. Welcome John

Would you like to say a bit more about your need...

Thanks for the reply I would like to cut my own wheels so my dilema is either to index the lathe head with a milling spindle on the Schaublin very expensive! I have changed the bearings in the Schaublin head to Ceramic 15 degree AC and they willl do 22k (not that I want to do that rpm) and build as normal on the cross slide or build from scratch using ????

John.

4. Well I am building a stepper drive for my rotary table to do the same thing on my mill..

I'd suggest a small motorised 3" rotary table bolted to your x-slide so that the lathe spindle is used to cut. A gear cutter in the spindle and the wheel on an arbor driven by the rotary table would be my approach. You could of course skip the rotary bable and build a directly driven indexing arbor from scratch, it wouldnt be hard to do. You could still use the software/hardware solution in this thread

Quote Originally Posted by Clocknut View Post
    Thanks for the reply I would like to cut my own wheels so my dilema is either to index the lathe head with a milling spindle on the Schaublin very expensive! I have changed the bearings in the Schaublin head to Ceramic 15 degree AC and they willl do 22k (not that I want to do that rpm) and build as normal on the cross slide or build from scratch using ????

John.

Can you recommend a good table? the ones I have seen so far have not been good build quality!

John.

6. I bought a Soba 4" from Chronos (the one with 3 Tslots and an MT2 taper in the middle), about £60 in their Xmas offer. It got about 20minutes of backlash but is easy to mount a stepper motor onto... I'll be doing a build log on it soon...

Hi Irving2008,
    I've motorised one of those and had great problems fitting thrust bearings. Unfortunatley I never took any pics or did any drawings all done on the fly ordering what I thought I neede ... so got lots of extra bits bearing wise.
    I think I should have got one from Arc euro as John S has motorised them and they look easier.

Peter

8. Peter,

This is the new design (I am told), they've been advertising them for a couple of months, its the Soba version of a Vertex. Mounting a stepper will be very easy, I've already stripped it down to measure up and theres no problem I can see unless I'm being very stupid.

Hi Irving
    Had a quick look on chronus - it certainly looks different to the one I got.
    Are you going to fit thrust bearings or rely on as is.

peter

Just had another look and they are still doing my one SOBA 4" Rotary Table HV4 Type I wasnt that impressed as to quality etc

10. fit a single thrust bearing where the handle fits on the shaft...

lets not hijack John's thread any further... I'll start a new thread shortly with some pics I have just taken...
    Last edited by irving2008; 06-01-2010 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Added link to new thread

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information