. .
    Hello Everyone.

My name is Ross and im new to this forum, and CNC milling in general.

I would like to purchase and learn how to use a CNC mill so that i can design and make my own golf putters.

Im currently a product design student at Notts Trent Uni and my main hobbie is golf. Lately i have been thinking, why not put my design skills into practice and learn how to create items that im interested in!

Iv been lurking around a few forums in the last couple of months, and have been doing a little research into machines that would be suitable for my needs.

Originally i was thinking about purchasing a mini CNC mill, However i dont want to purchase something that will limit my possibilities in the future.

Lately i have been looking at the X3 CNC mill from SPG Tools. Here's the link.

Being new to CNC however i have no idea as to whether this machine would be suitable for my needs, or whether it is a good machine full stop.

I have preformed quite a few searches, looking for info about this mill, however they have returned very little.

So if anyone can give me any advice then it would be greatly appreciated!

Many Thanks! Ross

Hi,
    If you are going to go down the ready completed mill I would have a look at http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalo...CNC-Hobby-Mill as this is designed as a cnc mill not a converted X3.
    If you are only going to make golf putters etc why not go for kx1.

Peter

Thanks for your reply Peter.

Typical beginner question, but if i were to go for the more powerful machiene would that help cut down on overall machining time?

Cheers, Ross

Not to sure myself as it all depends... just to many variables.
    If you want to hog a lot of material off to get to a particular shape the bigger the machine then the more you can hog!
    Then you can invest in a very fast spindle machine and machine very very fast but that costs £s £s
    Then again if the thing you want to machine is intricate then you sure aint cutting large amounts just using a smaller cutter, you then need a faster spindle.
    The KX1 has faster spindle than the KX3, 7000 as to 5000, in my mind still not fast enough for small cutters.
    I'm afraid your question has no real answer, you will have to decide what the ultimate requirement will be.
    I have the X1 micro mill similar to the KX1 and so far I have not found any limitations in the mill, my skills on the other hand...
    Have you also considered the implications of a much larger mill, a lot bigger and heavier, do you have the space for one.
    I wish you well on your deliberations.
    Peter

Tough decision!

Think i need to do a little more research into exactly what i would need.

Thank you very much for your help Peter!

Thread Information