. .

Thread: ShetchUp

before I go downloading more software ... Can you take dimensions from a sketch Up file? or do you just take a guess?
    Tim G-C

“I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.”

(attrib. Voltaire but written by Evelyn Beatrice Hall "The Friends of Voltaire" 1906)

2. you'll need to explain more... sketchup supports dimensioning... but when you say 'taking dimensions from' a sketchup file, what do you mean?

Sorry for the delay in answering your reply ... What I was trying to ask was ... Looking at a given object within a SketchUp file am I able to accurately measure the length of that object or am I able to retrieve the dimensions of that part and take them to be machined as I would a paper drawing?
    Tim G-C

“I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.”

(attrib. Voltaire but written by Evelyn Beatrice Hall "The Friends of Voltaire" 1906)

4. Yes, assuming it was drawn correctly. Use the dimensioning tool, locate the ends using the usual inferencing etc to get the right edge and it will show the dimensions... see the jpg attached generated from a sketchup file...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	motormount2-1.jpg 
Views:	400 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	1465

To be correct no dimensions should be taken from the actual drawing. You should add dimensions to the drawing. More mistakes are mad by people taking measurements off a drawing with a ruler etc as not all printout are correct or remotely correct they give an idea of what it looks like.
    Not sure if thie is what the OP intended or not.
    Peter

Thank you both ... question fully answered and understood ...
    Tim G-C

Thread Information