. .
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Who did it and how much did they charge?

http://www.constant-precision.co.uk/ based in Kempston Bedford. They did it in less than 2 hrs and charged 30 pounds.

3. wow... well bedford's only a short drive up the motorway from me. I don't know if mines that bad - need to measure it. but before i do the CNC'ing work, while its all in bits I may get that sorted if need be. Mines a tad bigger and heavier...

There does seem to be a problem with the Warco Mini mill. I have just recently bought one and the X Y axis are not at 90 degrees. I too will have to get mine machined. The error I measured was 0.25mm over 100 mm on the Y axis. This is a pain to have to correct on a brand new machine. It came with a test certificate that stated it was measured at 0.025mm over 150mm. Clearly the machine was not measured.

John

5. Quote Originally Posted by John Wright View Post
    There does seem to be a problem with the Warco Mini mill. I have just recently bought one and the X Y axis are not at 90 degrees. I too will have to get mine machined. The error I measured was 0.25mm over 100 mm on the Y axis. This is a pain to have to correct on a brand new machine. It came with a test certificate that stated it was measured at 0.025mm over 150mm. Clearly the machine was not measured.

John
    Or not measured correctly... If its a new machine and clearly out of spec then I'd return it under Sale of Goods Act 1974 as 'not fit for purpose'. If it was bought 2nd hand then you don't have much option, but check first that there's no swarf etc trapped in the slides.

I am pretty sure I have measured carefully. I measured after cleaning all grease off the mill and the ways. I redid the measurement several times as well as checking the other specs on the test certificate. They were all ok, it was just the XY that was out. The reason I bought the mill was for conversion to cnc. I need the extra movement of the Y axis that this mill offers over the normal Sieg mill. If I was to send it back and get a replacement then I may well get the same problem. From my point of view it is simpler just to get it fixed and know it is accurate.

Interesting issue about the Y axis movement. They advertise it as 130mm. However if I measure the movement from the centre of the table it is 55 mm to one side and 85mm to the other! Strictly speaking I guess that it is only a 110 mm table movement unless I add a 15 mm spacer block to the head, which I could easily do. This would give me 140mm. I could also make an extra aluminium table if I want that would project more to the rear than the front by 15mm. There is room to move it back.

John

Just got back from having my X Y dovetails on the saddle re-machined. The error in the Y axis was indeed 0.25mm over 100 mm. The machining done originally was terrible and looked like a ploughed field. All looks much better now, and I was able to watch as the part was clocked up and machined.

John

8. Was this at the same place as Buster had his done?

Yes it was, very friendly and helpful.

John

10. Hmmm... maybe we should get a group buy going...lol

How much of the mill did you take over to them? Mines a 2-man lift in and out of the car (just the base weighs ~150kg).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information