. .
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I need some small pieces 1/8" thick mild steel cut to a specific shape ...nothing particularly intricate, but a fairly important 9.5" radius in the design prohibits making them by hand...

I'm only looking for about 100pcs initially.

Anyone have any contacts that might be a good start? (I will provide a DXF file).

I use a company through work for laser cutting, maybe a bit far away for you but they've always done a good job for us and have done small jobs for me for cash in the past.

http://www.pritchard-sheetmetal.com

What is it then? :whistling:

http://www.parkersteel.co.uk

4. http://www.pegpro.co.uk/

Although it looks to me a job easily handled on a rotary table in a mill.

5. radius is 9.5", its only 7mm wide, you'd need some sort of jig bolted to the table to hold a piece of 7mm x 55mm stock at ~9.5" from the table centre. Would need a big enough table to limit the overhang.

Wouldn't it bend like a banana as soon as he milled one cold rolled side off :heehee:

If he cut them from black he'd have to mill t'other side.

If he wants 100 the same then sheet seems the way to go.

I'm guessing 35 pence each to get laser cut, would you piss about making one of these for 35 pence ?
    John S -

Thanks for the links.

It's the steel core for a guitar pickup (of sorts) I'm protoyping....the 9.5" radius is what the more popular guitar necks have (ie if you were looking down the guitar neck from the pickup end)

Re 'pissing about' for 35 quid ...I guess that would depend on how much effort it takes the guy who sets up the laser machine (I'd have thought clamping one bit of sheet & loading loading one file with 100pcs crammed to fit into the sheet is the same as loading one file with one larger piece?) - now I'm no expert but I can't imagine it's much more than 20-30 minutes for someone that's a dab hand? If that's the case yeah, for cash in hand, I'd do it for £35!! (But when I asked, I didn't know it would be about 35p per piece!)

It's a shame we don't have a similar website to the yanks rfqwork.com at least then, the end operator can decide if he wants to punt for a 35p per piece job!

It's not just the 20 odd minutes, have you costed a sheet of steel lately ? Average full sheet laser costs between £250.000 and £400,000 and working flat out on production they can get thru 1000 gallons of liquid oxygen in 3 - 4 days.
    John S -

10. Wouldn't it bend like a banana as soon as he milled one cold rolled side off
    Rolled steel will bend if you cut one of the rolled faces off (the stress in the remaining face will no longer be balanced out by the missing side) Mr McSpank would be milling off the edge only so, no serious bend problem.

I'm guessing 35 pence each to get laser cut, would you piss about making one of these for 35 pence ?
    I wasn't suggesting "pissing about" making a 100 off on a mill. Hank only wants a couple to prototype his geetah pick-up

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information