. .
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I need some small pieces 1/8" thick mild steel cut to a specific shape ...nothing particularly intricate, but a fairly important 9.5" radius in the design prohibits making them by hand...

I'm only looking for about 100pcs initially.

Anyone have any contacts that might be a good start? (I will provide a DXF file).

I use a company through work for laser cutting, maybe a bit far away for you but they've always done a good job for us and have done small jobs for me for cash in the past.

http://www.pritchard-sheetmetal.com

What is it then? :whistling:

http://www.parkersteel.co.uk

4. http://www.pegpro.co.uk/

Although it looks to me a job easily handled on a rotary table in a mill.

5. radius is 9.5", its only 7mm wide, you'd need some sort of jig bolted to the table to hold a piece of 7mm x 55mm stock at ~9.5" from the table centre. Would need a big enough table to limit the overhang.

Wouldn't it bend like a banana as soon as he milled one cold rolled side off :heehee:

If he cut them from black he'd have to mill t'other side.

If he wants 100 the same then sheet seems the way to go.

I'm guessing 35 pence each to get laser cut, would you piss about making one of these for 35 pence ?
    John S -

Thanks for the links.

It's the steel core for a guitar pickup (of sorts) I'm protoyping....the 9.5" radius is what the more popular guitar necks have (ie if you were looking down the guitar neck from the pickup end)

Re 'pissing about' for 35 quid ...I guess that would depend on how much effort it takes the guy who sets up the laser machine (I'd have thought clamping one bit of sheet & loading loading one file with 100pcs crammed to fit into the sheet is the same as loading one file with one larger piece?) - now I'm no expert but I can't imagine it's much more than 20-30 minutes for someone that's a dab hand? If that's the case yeah, for cash in hand, I'd do it for £35!! (But when I asked, I didn't know it would be about 35p per piece!)

It's a shame we don't have a similar website to the yanks rfqwork.com at least then, the end operator can decide if he wants to punt for a 35p per piece job!

Lives in Devon, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 759. Received thanks 27 times, giving thanks to others 52 times.
    Hi Hank, building some hotrails or another variation on the sustainer? does the steal need to be 3.25mm thick? I'm sure the production ones are thiner, if so you could just use a guilotine and a good old file for prototyping.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross77 View Post
    Hi Hank, building some hotrails or another variation on the sustainer? does the steal need to be 3.25mm thick? I'm sure the production ones are thiner, if so you could just use a guilotine and a good old file for prototyping.
    This is for Sustainer MK XII! (for a non-blade version bedecked with twinkly lights have a look at a quick 'n dirty video I made - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXB92cSQi8E be warned, the first 18 seconds is just me dicking about showing of the lovely blue LEDs! For a marginally better video of what the sustainer is all about here's another rough vid of mine - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=106Se7AHknc (see the circuit on breadboard to the side!))

I relaise the production blade hotrails are much thinner, but remember this is to vibrate the string not pick up the vibrations...everything has to be beefed up - hence 3.2mm thick steel needed.

For the actual prototyping of this latest 'blade' version, yesterday I've ordered some modelmakers' 1/8" x 1/4" bright steel (I'd have prefered black steel, but they don't have it in a suitable size)....that works out at about 3.2mm x 6.34mm in new money, which happens to be pretty damn close for my bobbin 'blade' proto- so I've just Dremel'ed a length of 53.5mm's worth off the end!

For this latest blade type - here's a somewhat rough and ready test coil I wound around a DIY acrylic core (in turn cut from my DIY CNC!) with the steel I've just this minute cut (I'm still fine tuning the spec hence it not looking that refined yet)

The 100pcs of 'radiused' blade would be destined for my first 'batch' (wishful thinking that I might interest 100 people in buying one of thee puppies!)...so not exactly prototype, but not exactly mass production either!

This whole shebang reveals to me why we aren't a nation of inventors anymore - it's so darned expensive to get 'widgets' made (& I need widgets in spades...initially mainly to make the coil winder, but then I needed custom bobbins, hence making a CNC, then I needed some stuff turned so I bought a lathe)...alas, everyone wants more than 34p a piece!
    Last edited by HankMcSpank; 04-02-2010 at 09:18 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information