. .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Well, I've decided to really put a shine on this turd so it's getting ball screws on the X and Y axes (the Z axis is probably beyond redemption so the plan is to use this to build a gantry mill and then just use it as a lathe).

The current Y axis leadscrew is in such a bad state it's missing steps even at very slow feed rates so I'm making some rough brackets for the Y axis and then I'll make some better ones when it's going.

During testing last night I was bitten by the ballscrew demon - ran the nut off the end of the screw and ball bearings dropped out of the end! I tried poking them back in but there are three separate loops on the ones I have so I had to stick them in place with grease and then gently insert the holding tube - much quicker to describe than do!

Hopefully get a metal cutting test in tonight - pictures to follow.

Mark

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Current Activity: Viewing Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,911. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by FatFreddie View Post
    then just use it as a lathe
    That's what I'd recommend!
    I think I had the milling head on mine for about 1 month, used it once or twice, bought a proper milling machine, and the milling head has lived in a box under a bench somewhere since (I don't even know what bench it's been that long!).

Regarding the Y-axis (in lathe terms it's actually the Z-axis), have you ever had the carriage of?
    I had lots of problems trying to adjust mine, and I eventually found out the gib strip was bent, which was causing all the problems. I made a new gib strip from a bit gauge plate, and it made a huge difference (could adjust play out, without it starting to bind). I also converted it to use a couple angular contact bearings at the handle end, to replace the cheap and nasty bush set-up.
    I used to have a website which showed all the mods I'd done, but I fell out with the webhost and have never reuploaded them anywhere. If you want to see them, I should still have the pages on a disk somewhere.

However, I've got no plans to convert mine to CNC, as I find it ideal the way it is for what I use it for.

Thread Information