. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I've just picked up a CNC Taig from a Seller on Ebay, the machine was advertised as a Microproto Taig Micromill, machine has a 110 / 220volt converter.

Installed Mach 3 and Vectric - Cut 2D

First test of the machine was to drill some mounting holes in a MDF Sacraficial table, about 30 2mm diameter holes down and the 110 /220 converter blew a fuse. Converter was exceedingly hot too, waited for it to cool down and upon replacing fuse, acrid smell and fuesed again. First job - source a replacement 240volt motor from Lester Caine at Model Engineers Digital Workshop.

Next problem, the machine's supplied controller was actually a cheap 4 axis Stepmaster and not the Microproto as described.

The Taig Mill looks great, nice and solid, precise and looks quite capable ot producing some great work, Mach 3 and Cut 2D look to offer a whole host of features which I'll enjoy getting to grips with.

Just a little irritated I haven't received the item as described, Microproto drivers offer the possibility of support through Medw, I'm not familiar with Stepmaster, do they even have a website?

Found this on another forum about Stepmaster NC

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37937

Used the machine again after fitting a replacement spindle as the transformer supplied burnt out half way through a small drilling job, half way through the job the machine lost some steps and wound up drilling the other holes about 12mm out of place...

Not too impressed by the controller atall! certainly isn't worth putting any material underneath it, for fear of making scrap or damaging the machine.

I think you would be better off dumping those drivers Alan, StepMasterNC have BAD feedback on these forums with delays and so on.

Have a look here (cant find the others):

http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/showth...=Stepmaster+NC

It would look as tho Stepmaster/Alien have now also stoped trading ?
    .Me

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Roberts View Post
    It would look as tho Stepmaster/Alien have now also stopped trading ?
    Looking at another forum it sounds like Stepmaster NC was sold under all of these different names:

"MicroNC"
    "DrivemasterNC"
    "JewelmasterNC"
    "StepmasterNC"

I saw a JewelmasterNC machine and a website a year or so ago, I think it implied that the machines were located in Scotland but really they were shipped from Miami! There was no real info on the site but was selling converted Proxxon Micro Milling machines with steppers fitted.

Hi,

Yes this is correct, i think StepmasterNC was purchased by a chap in Scotland and then rebranded as Aliencnc. From what i read at the time and looking at the ebay feedback, this chap in scotland was drop shipping the products from the USA and this formed part of the problems. I actually discovered all of this at the right time because i was going to put an order in...

Moving on, what do you plan to do ?
    .Me

Since purchasing the machine I've found nothing but poor reviews of these StepmasterNC controller which is not comparable to the Microproto in specification or use. If the machine or indeed the controller was like for like or indeed suitable for the intended use it'd be different. Even cutting air the controller doesn't seem to be up to powering all three motors at once. I lost about 12mm when the machine returned to the home position on one axis after running a repetitive drill job.

I'll probably be replacing the controller with one from www.medw.co.uk at a later date and spindle with a Kress unit. Probably a reasonable price for the machine regardless of controller. Seller was also very helpful when collecting the machine although was unable to see machine running a job under mach 3 as problems with vista!
    Last edited by Lee Roberts; 16-02-2010 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Because...

Hi alan, no problem keep us updated with how you get on. Will be nice to see the things you get made !
    .Me

I just noticed that the seller I purchased my machine from has changed his Ebay ID and is relisting another CNC machine!

The seller has changed his ID from marklovesali to gagdetguru

Please do not bid on this machine. The machines are not as described and come with defective transformers and cheap Stepmaster NC controllers.

Ebay Item number: 250584782681
    Last edited by alan2525; 22-02-2010 at 12:31 PM.

Hi Alan
    I think your spelling is a bit off seller is gagdetguru not gadgetguru who is in Texas, also cannot find the listing.

Peter

No longer liisted, probably got pulled because the description of the previous buyer was less than stellar.
    John S -

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information