Quote Originally Posted by Tweaky View Post
I have seen thinner ones, but when I saw your plate, I suddenly felt inadequate!. Do you think 25mm will flex?
Hi Mark

I don't know if mine is thick enough, won't find out until I run it in to an immovable object. (3Nm*pi)/0.005m pitch = 1885N driving force :whistling:

I'll do my best to answer your questions but I've only been doing this for about 20 years so I'm still learning.

does this mean I owe you a Hobgoblin?
Indubitably, if we ever meet I will expect beer

I have found some angular contact bearing that will fit, and they are rated at 14k rpm, dinamic load of 24Kn, do you think they would do the trick?
Probably be fine, you're going to find out for us. Probably when a fat tool gets lost in a lump of iron and starts trying to cut triangular shaped holes with a sort of hammer action. :naughty:

Last question, for the mo' , as you can see my finish on ally is poor, I have not yet aligned the column, but have read much which suggests that finish is related to vibration. I still get some vibration at alost all speeds, feels to me like column flex. Does your do it?, have you filled the column with Epoxy Granite or balanced you pulleys (mine has 2 inters .....pain)?

What's 2 inters mean?

Obviously you want to avoid vibration but cut quality depends on a lot of variables. I still get a crap finish at times so I have yet to sort it. My biggest problem is aluminium chattering when I change direction into a radius.

If I was asked to list the variables that result in a good finish in descending order of importance, I'd guess...

A machine that is much too big for the job in hand.
Minimise overhangs.
The right tool for the job.
The right lube
The right feed rate and rpm
Cutting downhill

My mill is somewhat different to yours. I have a cast iron box section plinth at the back below the round column, often as not the head is wound down until it rests on the plinth. If I lean on the spindle nose I can bend it about a thou, maybe two if it isn't hard down. Perhaps they changed the design because it was too flexible?

Bestest

Robin