. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like many I have lurked for a while, but broke cover yesterday on an issue where I could help, so I thought that I'd better introduce myself.

I am a retired IT professional (so many about), and do a bit of woodwork and DIY for light relief. The thought of combining IT skills with engineering and woodwork is appealing. I would like to build a machine, but it might not be this year as many demands on time. So many choices and questions - but for another post or three.

Many years ago I used to work in industrial automation and robotics, but the company I worked for got out of that market as it became more commonplace and less profitable. In the early 80's I had access to a substantial 6 axis robot. It was marketed as a "Gantry Robot" and could do pick and place (big style), machine tool loading and light machining. It was big. The xyz were typically 6mx4mx1m and the units ARE metres. Payload at the z was from memory up to 100kg. The X was on top of a 6x4x2 cuboid and the Y spanned the 4m across the top. I recall it was all rack and pinion.

I have read loads and very impressed by the helpful nature and friendliness of this forum. I couldn't now imagine going into a machine build without running it past you guys.

I think that I have only one real disappointment and that is with the state of progress on the software front. Specifically I mean G-Code. I suppose that I should not be surprised as there are numerous examples of software standards which are rooted in a bygone age when the processors were puny and communication speeds were snail like, but to still be wrapped up in something that is based on the technology of the 1960's is a bit...... Even my pet gantry robot of the 80's had a controller which was programmed in a high level language, had 6 dimensional co-ordinate transformations built in, all based on a seven processor Intel 8086 machine. Anyway, more fun to get to grips with it.

Enough for now. I might just chip in on the odd conversation now that I have come out, but plans for a build will have to wait until.....

Mel.

PS. That's Mel as in Mel Gibson and not Mel as in Mel B. (or any other smart **** comment you come back with)

2. Mel, welcome to the forum. Feel free to chip in at any time!

It isn't actually Melvyn is it, and you didn't migrate from Crewe did you?
    That is a seriously unusual surname, and have not come across it in this area since the 60's.

Just asking.

Bogs

bogs - right and right.

Went to Crewe Grammar from '61 to '67. My Mum still lives there and I visit frequently but I lost touch with all school friends. When I went to University my newly found friends there renamed me Mel and it stuck.

When I read your posts I did wonder whether we might know each other. They reminded me of an old school chums Dad - the surname escapes me for the moment, Stuart ???. He used to have a massive engineering workshop in his garden and made ride on trains. Being Crewe, trains were a very big thing back then of course, still are to some extent though nowhere near so now.

But I couldn't place who you are. Give me a clue.

5. Ooooh... MYCNCUK, the new Freinds Re-united :heehee:

Mel,

Our time was much earlier than that, junior school, when you wore posh long trousers and I was a street urchin with the a**e hanging out of my short ones.

I remember watching you in junior school, how proud you were playing THE BIG RECORDER, whereas we were all stuck with triangles or anything else we could get to grips with. Funny how little things like that stick in your mind, when I can't remember what I had for breakfast.

We separated when you went into higher grades at the grammar school, which, if you can remember, all but one passed the 11 plus in our class.

I left there early to pursue a career in the RAF as I had been offered an apprenticeship, which my brother seemed to wangle for me, as he was already in the RAF.

When I returned to Crewe in 1980, most of my old mates had either up sticks and moved away, or were having a hard time with the recession, which was happening then. I was OK because of my engineering skills, and have never really been out of work until now, due to bad health caused by such a good time in the RAF. But at least the war pension keeps the wolves from the door. A few of them were knocked off because of silly motorcycle and car accidents, and a few have succumbed to life's usual medical problems. There are only a couple left that I now know personally.

I don't live far away from your parents old house in Underwood Lane, and I pass it most times I venture out. I am at the other end of Selworthy, on Bradfield road.

It is times like this that you remember it was well over 40 years ago that I last saw you. Some people just stick in your mind, I think it is because of your parents old house that keeps reminding me.

I suppose I had better come clean.

Bogs AKA John Moore, from Frank Bott Avenue and Broad Street Juniors.

Sorry to the rest of the clan on the site, but it isn't every day you find a person whom you knew so many years ago.

Well blow me down. I didn't expect that.

I went past your place near lunchtime today. It's just that I was 2000' up in the air.

Enough of this in public. The others must be wondering what is going on here. I'll PM you.

Don't stop just don't turn into a Mills and Boon novel....LOL!
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

No risk of that!

I remembered who it was who used to build the trains. The school mate was Stuart Powell and I think his dad was called Harry. He had a train track round the garden for testing. They were magnificent. Nothing like the ones you see at kiddies playgrounds. They were more like scaled up versions of Bogs's machines.

I have sent you a PM. Just look in your Notifications.

Tut, i was reading that.....wonders what they get upto next...
    .Me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information