. .
    Hi All
    Wondered if anyone knows of an easy way to run 12v fans off a 230v power supply ( as the title says ! ). Ive been looking for a circuit diagram but cant find one and the only option ive found is to buy from the States again. Would like to run 3x 12v fans off my 48 volt 7.3 amp supply ,an ATX power supply would be a way of doing it but abit expensive to run.
    Thanks all

2. Just get yourself a cheap 12v wall wart PSU (they typically sell for ~£1 and boot sales) . If you want to mount inside a device, get one with a flying mains lead. A typical PC fan will draw 100-300mA so all but the smallest warts will do.

Don't even think about driving the fan without a step down transformer (or SMPSU).

3. Or a 12v power supply like this one on eBay the advantage over a wall wart being a flying mains lead so easier to wire in... this will run up to 4 large or 6 small fans (typically)

Thanks for the info , hadnt thought about a wall wart which looks a cheap / easy option . Think il go with the flying mains lead so i can clean up my electrics. Have to put off my first go at circurt boards for something else i guess !.
    Thanks all
    Last edited by Buba b; 02-03-2010 at 05:24 PM.

5. if you want a cheap design you can make yourself then thats easy too, see diagram...but it'll prob cost a little more than the ebay option... doesn't need a circuit board. transformer and rectifier bolt down and capacitor can be soldered directly to rectifier leads and input and output wires just need restraining with some cable clips. Will power 4 - 5 small fans, or 3 large ones

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12v_PSU.gif 
Views:	816 
Size:	8.3 KB 
ID:	1788

Thanks Irving that was what i was arfter but as you say it wouldnt work out much differant from the evilbay price and ive just bought the supply in your link. So my trip into the confusing world of electronics will have to be put off for another day ..... which to say the least is a small relief LoL.

Thread Information