Like many I have lurked for a while, but broke cover yesterday on an issue where I could help, so I thought that I'd better introduce myself.

I am a retired IT professional (so many about), and do a bit of woodwork and DIY for light relief. The thought of combining IT skills with engineering and woodwork is appealing. I would like to build a machine, but it might not be this year as many demands on time. So many choices and questions - but for another post or three.

Many years ago I used to work in industrial automation and robotics, but the company I worked for got out of that market as it became more commonplace and less profitable. In the early 80's I had access to a substantial 6 axis robot. It was marketed as a "Gantry Robot" and could do pick and place (big style), machine tool loading and light machining. It was big. The xyz were typically 6mx4mx1m and the units ARE metres. Payload at the z was from memory up to 100kg. The X was on top of a 6x4x2 cuboid and the Y spanned the 4m across the top. I recall it was all rack and pinion.

I have read loads and very impressed by the helpful nature and friendliness of this forum. I couldn't now imagine going into a machine build without running it past you guys.

I think that I have only one real disappointment and that is with the state of progress on the software front. Specifically I mean G-Code. I suppose that I should not be surprised as there are numerous examples of software standards which are rooted in a bygone age when the processors were puny and communication speeds were snail like, but to still be wrapped up in something that is based on the technology of the 1960's is a bit...... Even my pet gantry robot of the 80's had a controller which was programmed in a high level language, had 6 dimensional co-ordinate transformations built in, all based on a seven processor Intel 8086 machine. Anyway, more fun to get to grips with it.

Enough for now. I might just chip in on the odd conversation now that I have come out, but plans for a build will have to wait until.....

Mel.

PS. That's Mel as in Mel Gibson and not Mel as in Mel B. (or any other smart **** comment you come back with)