. .
    Guys

I am getting all the last bits of info together.

My planned build is a 1600x1000 gantry type mostly built out of extruded aluminium.

My concern is that even though i think i have the right sizes/dimensions alu for what is needed, i am not sure about the slot sizes or what the best way is to mount 15mm profile rails on them.
    It would seem that you can get the same profiles with 6mm or 8mm slots.

If you guys have any experience with this, can you please help?

Thx

PS: Gary, thanks for the chat/help/info/prices/etc on the drive & parts.

Hmmm.... it seems i posted in the wrong section.

Apologies for that.

Location unknown. Last Activity: 12-11-2010 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 20. Received thanks 1 times, giving thanks to others 0 times.
    hi,

i am using the 90x45mm bosch alu extrusions, these come with 10mm slots,

then i am using the sliding blocks that fit into the groove to mount the profile rail, the sliding blocks come with an m6 or m5 thread,

if you do use 10mm slot profile i think you may be better with the 20mm profile rail so it has a better contact patch with the profile.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to kev For This Useful Post:

Not been on here for a while but yes I am still alive! Cold weather, funerals, weddings and one of my eyes packed up working (ok now) are my excuses, anyway....

The profile I used for my machine came from Hepco motion but there are other suppliers around which if you ask Lee nicely he may be able to point you in the right direction as I know he bought some before xmas but can't remember where he got it from.

I only used the sliding blocks on my machine which were the same as the one's that Kev has given you the link for but there are lots of different types of connectors which you can use. Take a look at this link - http://www.hepcomotion.com/ecommerce...onnections.php.

How you connect your profiles together and fix your rails just depends on the amount of machining you can do and how easy/difficult you want your build process to be.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to HiltonSteve For This Useful Post:

It's a bit of a chicken-egg case for me really. I need the machine before i can do the machining, so the less i have to do on the machining part, the better.
    I intend to build everything from profile and then machine my own plates and reduce the machine footprint.

Thanks a lot, it is very useful. Lovely machine Steve!

Lee has kindly suggested a few companies already in a previous post. I think this company was one of them, which will probably be the one i will get it from. They have 6mm and 8mm groove range which i think the 15mm will be OK on.

(... now stuck reading Steve's build)

8. KJN Are what i and a few others have used! they are really good. and they cut the extrude square and true!

Thread Information