. .
    Guys
    Does anybody know anything about 5c collets? i have 31 imperial pieces that were bundled with my milling machine but they don't seem quite right and not having much luck on google. They are the same size and dimension of a 5C but no internal thread. The thread at the bottom is left handed and a location groove running down one side from the bottom to the base of the closing slits. There is the same number on all of them (9252) stamped on the lip. Any ideas???

Thanks

Paul
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

Yes these are for the Crawford 5C collet chuck that operates with a chuck key just like a normal 3 jaw chuck.
    Because they put the bevel drive the wrong way you need LH threads to tighten the collets.
    They are also a courser pitch to make up for the low gearing.

If you have a set you are lucky as they are as rare as hens teeth and mega expensive.

I have a Crawford collet chuck but I replaced the threaded nut with a home made one to take normal 5C collets,
    OK it goes the wrong way but you soon get used to it.
    I only had 3 collets for mine and this was the easiest way to attack the problem and use my existing set of normal 5c's, I sold the spare collets on Ebay and got a decent figure for them.

John S -

That response is better than i expected John so thanks for the reply. it looks like Ebay here we come as i need to raise some spondoolies to pay for the new drivers on the latest build. The annoying thing is that i plan on changing my lathe at sometime in the near future. You can bet youre bottom dollar it will be able to make use of the collets. Oh well 'finish CNC router or wait for maybe'? - router it will have to be....
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

Thread Information