. .

Thread: A Mini Lathe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Are we talking about a Starturn 4 or Starturn 8? The 8 is comparable sizewise with the 7x14 minilathes, but the 4 with its 10mm bore is too small for what I need longer term (can't get a 16mm ballscrew in there!). I dont need computer, monitor, etc (I have enough of those) and I am using EMC2. What can you do?

Lives in Cardiff, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 25-10-2022 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 699. Received thanks 29 times, giving thanks to others 1 times.
    they are only Starturn 4's unfortunately, but the Boxford 125 tcl and 160 tcl i have may be more suited to your needs. Larger bore for both machines and the 160 has an 8 station rotating turret. The 160 is partially converted to mach3, but i can revert it back to it's original control if you prefer.
    If you'd like a chat about these machines i can pm you my contact details.

3. either the 125 or the 160 would fit the space I have... but I'd be surprised they are in my budget range...

4. Well saw an ad on homeworkshop.org.uk for a minilathe at a bargain price for a nearly new one and it was within 30min driving distance, so took a wander over there and picked this Warco 4820 (a CJ0618, 180mm swing, 300mm bc) up for a sizable discount off a new one. Its virtually new, used a couple of times on brass and ali, with a set of tools and a tailstock drill chuck. Belonged to a ex-British Rail engineer who sadly passed away just after getting it. There was a nice Denham Viceroy lathe as well for £800 and a small press for £80 but I passed. An RF-20 mill with a decent vice, drill chuck, collet chuck and a set of collets and a substantial steel stand (home-made but you'd never know it) had already been sold for the paltry sum of £300...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	minilathe2.JPG 
Views:	2601 
Size:	172.9 KB 
ID:	2077Click image for larger version. 

Name:	minilathe1.JPG 
Views:	2084 
Size:	185.9 KB 
ID:	2076
    Last edited by irving2008; 12-04-2010 at 12:12 AM.

Lives in Devon, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 759. Received thanks 27 times, giving thanks to others 52 times.
    You jammy git. that looks imacculate......That is a very good site
    I dont think you will be getting rid of that even once the other lathes are fixed tho eh :whistling:

Out of interest how much did the Halifax near you make? I thought I was watching it but apparently not, and know its ended I cant find out.

6. it is ... got it home, chucked up a scrap piece of 40mm dia ali bar, faced it and turn it down to 30mm dia over a 25mm length... measured it for parallel & square.. i cant measure any error.... but more tests needed over longer lengths..

The Halifax went for £240, 25bids...that was a bit more than I was expecting :surprised:, an Atlas 10 went for £195 the day before.

Lives in Devon, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 759. Received thanks 27 times, giving thanks to others 52 times.
    Hows that lathe going? (cant beleive its been 2 weeks since I was last on here)

Thats a good price for the Halifax then, mind it was in good condition and had lots of accessories.

Have you remade all the bits for the relmac then ??????:heehee:

8. I wish... pressures of work and no free time last 2 weekends have conspired against me... but i have tried it out and turned a couple of experimental parts for my rotary table conversion...

Quote Originally Posted by i2i View Post
    they are only Starturn 4's unfortunately, but the Boxford 125 tcl and 160 tcl i have may be more suited to your needs. Larger bore for both machines and the 160 has an 8 station rotating turret. The 160 is partially converted to mach3, but i can revert it back to it's original control if you prefer.
    If you'd like a chat about these machines i can pm you my contact details.
    Saw your entry on mycncuk blog. Do you still have the 160tcl?

Lives in Cardiff, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 25-10-2022 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 699. Received thanks 29 times, giving thanks to others 1 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by vitrace View Post
    Saw your entry on mycncuk blog. Do you still have the 160tcl?
    yes i have still got it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information