. .
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Lives in Devon, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 759. Received thanks 27 times, giving thanks to others 52 times.
    Hi Steve

How did you get on with the normal bearings? I was looking at the 61908 (45x68x12) or the 61809 (45x58x7) as I was hoping the balls where smaller, which is better for high speed apparently......I have been looking all over the place and every one seems to recomed A/C bearings but there are a few that have had good results with Deep groove, but all seem to report overheating and short life. have you had any problems and what speeds are you getting?

sorry for so many questions but I dont want to fork out for A/C bearings if I just need to change £10 worth of bearings every 6 months or so......:o)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ross77 For This Useful Post:

Well the bearings are still ok but not given it too much stick yet, they do get a little warm when running at full speed but it does not seem to be causing any issues. If they do need changing then it won't cost much and will only take 10mins.

What price have you been quoted?

Lives in Devon, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 759. Received thanks 27 times, giving thanks to others 52 times.
    Thanks Steve, its good to get advice from some one who has used them.

What price have you been quoted?
    Ive not looked at the super scary high precision ones yet but standard A/C are about £15each and then the matched Pairs are about £40 each, where as I can get 5 of the deep groove ones for £35,

Did you notice if the balls in the smaller external dia. are smaller? Reduced mass seems to be one of the critical points for High speed so would be a bonus for the deep groove ones, as I could use 4 or 5 to regain the strengh

they do get a little warm when running at full speed but it does not seem to be causing any issues
    out of interest are the push fit or a tight interference?

Quote Originally Posted by Ross77 View Post
    Did you notice if the balls in the smaller external dia. are smaller? Reduced mass seems to be one of the critical points for High speed so would be a bonus for the deep groove ones, as I could use 4 or 5 to regain the strengh
    Have you considered bearings with ceramic balls? There's quite a few around on eBay. Apparently they're good for 30% faster than steel.

I wonder if buying normal bearings and replacing the balls with ceramic yourself is an option - probably not.

Have you considered bearings with ceramic balls? There's quite a few around on eBay. Apparently they're good for 30% faster than steel.
    Thanks Johnathan, Yes I have but its the cost. The ones on ebay are small for skate boards etc... I'm after 45mm int. dia. so the price gets quite high. mind I'm not brilliant at searching the net so if youve seen any cheapies then pls point me the direction.

Not sure if they would be any use ... IGUS do some weird bearing setups
    Tim G-C

“I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.”

(attrib. Voltaire but written by Evelyn Beatrice Hall "The Friends of Voltaire" 1906)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information