. .

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hi,

I've converted a Clarkes Mill / Lathe combo with the intention of using that to build a gantry style mill for cutting wood / aluminium.

http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/showth...9-The-sows-ear

I can get reasonable accuracy from it but the surface finish on the vertical plane is poor...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1080573.JPG 
Views:	3274 
Size:	147.4 KB 
ID:	2115

I'm assuming the poor finish is due to flex in the milling part of the machine not helped by a rather convoluted drive arrangement. The spindle bearings at least seem quite good!

Before I spend more money on it, is my assumption correct?

I think I could just about work with it to build the gantry mill (probably converting to ballscrews to improve the X/Y accuracy) but could I expect a better surface finish from that? I'm planning to make it from 3"x3" 1/4" thick box section and thick plate with a working area of no more than a metre square (probably 750mm) and using 20mm or 25mm supported rail for the slides and direct drive 16x5 ballscrews for positioning. I'm pretty sure I can make the frame rigid enough but how much flex will the supported rail add? I could go to profile rail but that's doubling the price but if it's necessary to get a good finish...

Alternatively I could look for a second hand "proper" milling machine to convert but I'd prefer a gantry style machine for the extra room (one project I'm thinking of is making a guitar).

Basically I suppose what I'm asking is whether this sort of surface finish is common and how rigid does a machine have to be to minimise / eliminate it - my own experience is restricted to this mill which does it with even a very fine cut and a Bridgeport that had to be sorely provoked to create a poor finish so I don't have much of a reference frame for the middle ground.

Sorry for the ramble!

Cheers,
    Mark
    Last edited by FatFreddie; 30-04-2010 at 09:15 PM.

Thread Information