. .

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quick update.....

Been hunting around for a cheap off the shelf option for linear slides and to be honest I am struggling, everything I have found comes at a cost which I think for what we are trying to achieve is too expensive. But I have another plan, ordered today some engineering plastic from a company I deal with and I am going to try and make a very simple but hopefully very cheap alternative. Will let you know how I get on when I have tried it, I know it will work but not sure how well yet...

Some of you may find my next bit of news interesting...

A stepper controller at the right price...! I have decided to go with 17 size steppers for this project now because it reduces the costs all round and takes a big chunk out of the total build cost, using 17 size steppers also means we do not need powerful drivers and I think that I have come up with just the thing. See details below...

Oh, and they are made in the UK!

Motor Outputs

• 3 x Allegro A4983 Microstepping Stepper motor controller (fixed at 1.5 amps 8th stepping)

Some features of the driver IC's

• Intelligent chopping control that automatically selects the correct current decay mode (fast decay or slow decay)
    • Over-temperature thermal shutdown, under-voltage lockout, and crossover-current protection

Outputs

• 1 x 12vdc output for laser / external relay or contractor rated at max 500ma.
    • 2 x 6a relays rated for 230vac.

Connections

• It requires a PSU minimum 4 amp 2.5mm laptop type connector. (an old laptop power supply will be suitable)
    • 1 x male DB25 connector (for connection to parallel port, cable not supplied)
    • 1 x female DB9 connector (to breakout unused parallel port connections, for limits etc)
    • 1 x 6 way Phoenix screw clamp connector (for E-Stop input, and outputs)
    • 3 x 4 way Phoenix screw less connector ( for X, Y & Z axis motor connections)

Enclosure

The system is enclosed within an all Aluminium enclosure for maximum heat dissipation and RF shielding. In the top of the enclosure is a 12vdc fan to provide active cooling of the driver IC's
    Dimensions Height, Width, Depth = 55mm x 100mm x 120mm

Cost will be around £120-£130 so hopefully this will be of more interest to the people on a tight budget.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Controller 2a.jpg 
Views:	745 
Size:	285.7 KB 
ID:	2201   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Controller 1a.jpg 
Views:	616 
Size:	317.6 KB 
ID:	2200  
    Last edited by HiltonSteve; 24-05-2010 at 10:43 PM.

Thread Information