. .
    Hi everybody new boy on the site!!

I have just bought a Warco super major mill and done the usual full strip down and re-build and I'm now ready to go CNC:heehee:.
    I've been chatting to Marchant Dice about going the whole 9 yards with servo motors, ball screws and the like.
    Does anybody have any suggestions or any experience with these mills. Basic machine now re-built is pretty good, rigid and with good slides after lots of time spent scraping and lapping.
    Anyway probably going to end up divorced by the time this next bit of the project is finished :twisted:
    Looking forward to your comments
    Ste64

2. Welcome..

Whats the 'Super' Major? I have a Minor and there a couple of others have CNC'd a Major - Robin Hewitt being one, no doubt he'll be along soon, here's his build log and Tweaky's

Don't forget to create a build log of your own!... Oh and pictures, we love pictures!

Many thank for the welcome
    The super major has a geared head and the rise and fall of the head is in the column giving a z axis range of 400mm.
    I have just had an email and they are recommending stepper motors sounds good to me as they are much cheaper.
    Wow that's some build awesome machining and the x and y looks the same as mine, so great for ideas.
    Will do as others and do a build log with pics.
    Cheers Ste64

I started with Marchant Dice screws then gave them away when I switched to Gary's screws. Then I had to modify Gary's screws with springs before I finally got zero backlash which I find very reassuring

Unfortunately, to make a pretty cnc you need cnc, my first attempt was a bit of a bodge. Consider starting with a fudge to get you going and then pretty it up. Getting the screw ends machined to your design is money well spent.

I like NEMA 34 motors and big volts, I get more leverage on the rotor for microstepping. I connected motors to screws with belts.That way I kept the handles, set the X motor low so it didn't overhang the top of the bed and the belt insulates the ballscrew from the heat.

If it helps, I have the AutoCAD R14 file I designed it on, random jottings, various revisions all jumbled together, different Z axis, not pretty but complete :naughty:

Robin

Hello all
    thanks for the replies very helpful.
    I'm waiting for a price from Gary for all mechanical and electrical bits.
    I had a price from one guy but he is quoting 12nm motors?? Seems a little excessive to me??
    Where i'm based in Scotland I want to do the small prototyping for a company for who I work in Manchester,
    they have lots of CNC machines but but large batch production type and say they will machine the bits for me.
    when I do the models of the components required.
    Do you guys prefer to use the belt drive for the ballscrews rather than direct coupling?
    Any chance you could email the autocad files might save me lots of work and would be much appreciated.
    I think I will go down the rough and ready route first just to prove my designs.

Anyway thanks for your reply they are more than helpful.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by ste64 View Post
    I had a price from one guy but he is quoting 12nm motors?? Seems a little excessive to me??

Any chance you could email the autocad files might save me lots of work and would be much appreciated.
    Hmmm

12Nm onto a 5mm pitch screw would lift about 1.5 tons, slight overkill :heehee:

I can't attach to e-mails sent through mycnc, mail me [email protected] and include my name Robin Hewitt somewhere in the text, that will get you past a very enthusuastic spam filter.

Thread Information