. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    O.K., If I am going to build a good CNC milling machine, a good thing to have is a CNC milling machine - which might obviate the need to build one.

There seem to be a number of useful looking second hand training machines around from Denford, Boxford and Emco, (and maybe others that I haven't heard about) that might either fit the bill, or form the basis of a conversion to Mach3. There are also some tempting looking new machines on the market from Syil and Arc Euro Trade.

My basic spec is for a desktop machine width (left to right) less than 1000mm, depth (front to back) less than 600mm - although for a really good machine I may suck my gut in to get past.

Any recommendations, either for, or at least as important, what to avoid.

Mike

Lives in Cardiff, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 25-10-2022 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 699. Received thanks 29 times, giving thanks to others 1 times.
    denford triac

There seem to be a few Denford Triacs about, I put in a bid on one that exisited on ebay for less than a mayflies lifetime before disappearing. There is a Denford Starmill on ebay at the moment. But what is specifically good or bad about each each make/model?

Lives in Cardiff, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 25-10-2022 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 699. Received thanks 29 times, giving thanks to others 1 times.
    all denford machines are worth buying they just vary in size and capability, the triac being the larger of their desktop range. The starmill is a much smaller machine than the triac, roughly about half the size. Going on the sizes you gave the triac fits the bill, or the boxford 260vmc. How much were you intending to spend.

Whatever is best value. I havn't dismissed the Syil X4 Speedmaster at £4150, but would have to be convinced of it giving good value - and being resellable without too much loss if not. On the other hand, if I bought a Bedford 190 at £850 and it was a poor basis because of design problems then I would regard that as a waste of money. I guess I am asking for things like "avoid XXXXXX as it can't machine cold butter" or "There is no practical way to fit good steppers/servos to YYYYY"

the 190 is a pretty good machine, but the 260 he's selling at £1000 is a better bet.

The Boxford 190 and 260 milling machines look very well built, but the second hand ones I have been thinking about come without software. on first look, it seems that the software will cost more thatn the second hand price of the machines.

Does anybody have any knowledge or informed opinions on the Boxford CNC mills suitableity for conversion to Mach3?

Mike

i've converted a 260vmc to mach 3 and it's relatively easy to do. If you don't feel confident to do it i can help you or do the conversion for you.

I'm pretty confident, but as they say, "pride cometh before a fall and confidence before a cock-up". Is the 260vmc bigger than the 190? The reason I ask is that the specification for the 190 is exactly as big as the space I have got for it - The specs for the 190 are on the Boxford site, but not for the 260.

Mike

the 260 is a lot bigger than the 190, and it's a much more capapble machine. For the price difference i would buy the 260, from memory the base of the 260 is at least a metre wide, and weighs around 250 kilos. Same size as a triac roughly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information