. .

Thread: Making a Jig

Hi Folks,

I have attached a sketch of a Jig I would like knocked together, I can arrange for the required materials to be delivered to you along with payment and return postage.

How it is made and what of, is up to you, although as I will be running a drill through the holes maybe steel rather than aluminium would be a better choice. I also leave up to you the method of attaching the sides to the top plate.

It's use ... to accurately position holes in 45mm Extrusion as (for now at least) I do not have access to a Pillar Drill.

If you can see any glaring errors in the drawing or have a better method of doing it please shout!!

Many Thanks

Tim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jig.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	11.7 KB 
ID:	2229  
    Last edited by Wobblybootie; 06-06-2010 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Attach .jpeg
    Tim G-C

“I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.”

(attrib. Voltaire but written by Evelyn Beatrice Hall "The Friends of Voltaire" 1906)

Just a quick question, Is the extrusion a hollow tube.
    If so and the holes have to be in line then your jig will not be all that good if the holes are to be made with a hand drill.
    The part the drill goes through should be a lot longer about 25mm, that is if the holes have to be in line accross the extrusion.

Peter

You only need one side and a top, a clamp will locate it and stop it moving.
    As Peter says you need a greater depth to the top part or fit hardened drill bushings.

Seriously look at getting a drill, they are indispensable.
    By the time you have paid postage two ways and got someone to do this you are probably half way towards getting a S/H one.
    John S -

Point taken Gentlemen ... Off to find a pillar drill next week ...
    Tim G-C

“I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.”

(attrib. Voltaire but written by Evelyn Beatrice Hall "The Friends of Voltaire" 1906)

Thread Information