. .
    Can anyone recomend suitable connectors for stepper motors.

I want to be able to easily dissconnect the motors.

I have the 4 wire type so I guess I'll need a 5 pole connector to accomodate the screening.

The motors are rated at 6 amps.

Any ideas and names of suppliers most appreciated.

Cheers Nick.

2. I use these off ebay, good for 6A, 4 poles plus the case is the screen. They do 5 or more poles as well...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to irving2008 For This Useful Post:

Since I stared fitting machine I have standardised on 4 pin XLR plugs.

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalo...ng-Accessories

They are pretty universal and you are guaranteed a re supply of the same item quickly.
    Also available from RS, Farnell and CPC but I think Maplins have discontinued the 4 pin ones.
    John S -

I can do you a bag of 10 plugs and 10 sockets for... £6 Inc p&p.

Send me a PM if you’re interested, you should note they are not the latching sockets but worked well for me.

Lee
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC06031.JPG 
Views:	385 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	2224  
    .Me

Lee those look like din sockets, I didnt think the current handling was that good!

Irving those are the ones I use but have to drill them out to take the 4 core cable I use! but they work fine.

Peter

7. Quote Originally Posted by ptjw7uk View Post
    Lee those look like din sockets, I didnt think the current handling was that good!

Irving those are the ones I use but have to drill them out to take the 4 core cable I use! but they work fine.

Peter
    Yeah, the clamps were a tad snug but I got away with it on my 4-core as I am only running 2A per core

Whatever you use get good quality latching connectors, one loose plug and that's a fried driver and a load of hassle.

John S -

9. Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    Whatever you use get good quality latching connectors, one loose plug and that's a fried driver and a load of hassle.

Thats why I like my screw down ones, good positive connect that can't get pulled out... and they're cheap (a set of 3 for less than a single pair of XLR!)

Also they dont stick out as far as the XLRs!

I have found the Lumberg screw locking DIN connectors very good. Although they are officially 5 Amp, they are so over-engineered that 6 or 7 amps souldn't faze them.http://www.rapidonline.com/productin...66501#techspec

Mike

Hi Nickmodelmaker,

After looking at DIN, XLR etc. I also settled on the chassis plug that Irving2008 mentioned, although I bought mine from Maplin and paid more than that ebay price :sad:. I like them because they are compact, can't fall out, and have a good current rating (for my needs). Recommended.

Barry
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1250c.JPG 
Views:	605 
Size:	120.4 KB 
ID:	2231  
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

Thread Information