. .
    Hi I am looking for a little assistance in sourcing a 3 axis kit for a new 8 x 4 project. The plans I have are from the automated woodwork website and the owner suggests this kit here http://www.hobbycnc.com/products/hob...oard-packages/

I am trying to find something of equal or better quality hopefully in the UK if possible.

I also notice from their website that soldering is required with the kit. Just wondering if this is common with kits and if anyone knows what kind of soldering is required? I'm ok with basic soldering but if it's tiny joints I may be in trouble!!

Considering plug and play technology has been around for many years I must say I am surprised that any soldering is required.

Thanks very much in advance for any help, I'll get pics up once it looks like I've actually done something!

:)

2. These are proper kits - a collection of parts - none of the parts are assembled on the PCBs so they need to be soldered - not too hard but not somethign I'd recommend for a first attempt. A roughly equivalent UK kit would be the kit version of the System4 from DIYCNC + 3 x 2.1A motors - which DIYCNC dont sell, but all of which can be sourced fully assembled from Zapp (their 'kit' is a collection of pre-assembled components just needing wiring) at around £230 inc VAT and you can pick up a power supply unit on eBay for £30. The hobbycnc is $250 + shipping, import tax (8%) and VAT (approx £250 + power supply parts)

Thanks very much for the advice :-)

Driver kit 1 from the Zapp site will drive that router with ease. I can highly recommend the Zapp kit, used it for 2 years nearly with not a single problem.

Jeff.
    Nothing is foolproof......to a sufficiently talented fool!

Hey Jeff,

Thanks for the advice. Can you tell me if there is any pcb soldering required with this kit please? Lots required with the other which was very off putting.

Thanks again very much, wiring diagram looks good which makes life easier too!!

Thanks guys, help here is awesome.

Thread Information