. .
    Hi,

I came accross the everman servo belt design and also came across someone who was trying something similar using a standard belt. Based on the linear carriages I have I have also drawn a rough sketch of a stepper motor using a similar concept. I wondered what others thought, could something like this ever work? I thought a couple of wide, taught belts and it might be the start of something?

Any thoughts?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	belt_drive.jpg 
Views:	7392 
Size:	123.9 KB 
ID:	2288 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	proto_drive.jpg 
Views:	2891 
Size:	61.5 KB 
ID:	2289
    Last edited by psiron; 16-06-2010 at 10:59 AM.

I understand the system is known as an 'Omega' drive ... there is a guy at TransDev.co.uk who has quite a bit of knowledge on the subject.
    Tim G-C

“I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.”

(attrib. Voltaire but written by Evelyn Beatrice Hall "The Friends of Voltaire" 1906)

Funny enough Transdev sent me a price list today, I had a look and nothing is mentioned, Im going to have a look at their website. Seems an easy concept but these things never are........................

Cannot remember anything on the site ... I rang ...
    Tim G-C

“I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.”

(attrib. Voltaire but written by Evelyn Beatrice Hall "The Friends of Voltaire" 1906)

I have just done some more digging and found a video of the drive at http://www.brusselsprout.org/CNC/sma...wleadscrew.avi
    This isnt what I was thinking about, I wanted the carriage to move along the belt, not static like in the video. Bell-everman have patented someting similar but it looks really expensive.

Yes been done before but that direct drive concept isn't any good.

One turn of the stepper in the pic and I'm guessing at 30 teeth 5mm pitch ?? goes 150mm per 200 steps, microstep this to 10 and that's 150 / 2000 = 0.075 mm per pulse.

You need a smaller pulley and have to drive it by another reduction belt drive to get some reasonable resolution.
    John S -

Your right John, its very slow in the video. In my original post was referring to the carriage running along a static belt. I just wondered after seeing bell evermans video using a servo motor, it looks amazing.

servo's and steppers are different animals.
    Once a stepper is micro stepped past 10 it's useless as regards torque and it's a cludge anyway
    many servo's have 5,000 line encoders on them and every line counts
    John S -

Ha ha ha, clunge............................. inbetweeners, class

Thread Information