. .
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hello,

I'm in the process of designing my 2nd machine which uses belts and pulleys for linear drive. There is an RS-Online Philippines where I conveniently shop but the more I browse the more I get confused about the different widths and sizes. I plan to use 10 tooth 5 mm pitch, 16mm hub width pulleys. One spec sheet that I downloaded suggested using T5 10mm belt. Is that the common practice? Wont the belt "dance" in the extra space in the hub? Will two 1500mm T5 10mm belts be strong enough for an X axis length of 54"?

And lacking actual pictures how does one secure the pulleys to the shaft?

Thanks a lot or your patience.

Jordan

Hi,

The pulleys either have grub screws which tighten down on the shaft OR holes for you to screw into the shaft (drill and tap required).
    With regards to the belt widths im sure one of the cnc warlords here will be able to help you with that ;)

Hello psiron,

Thanks for the quick reply. One question answered. I know they will:)

Jordan

I took one look at the RS prices and immediately went for the XL, don't know if yours are similarly priced though
    10t sounds a bit small, only 4 engaged, not a lot of leverage. Being an accuracy freak I'd suggest you pre-tension it way beyond the rating for the motor shaft.

This means a lay shaft with bearings either side of the driving pulley. OTOH once you do that you get a second set of pulleys in the equasion so you can beef up the drivers above 10t and get a nice fat shaft through them.

I've just had the first run out of mine - 10t 5mm pitch 16mm wide on the X axis and same but 10mm wide on Y axis....I have just got them running through pieces of rubber air hose as a temp direct drive.
    For the Z I have used an old G cramp for the acme screw and a sprung 2nd nut to take the backlash up...I'm trying to keep the cost down and so far its working quite well (well nothing beat me so far)
    The 10t pulleys are small but it seems to be working ok and next I'm going to reduce by about 4:1 (fingers crossed for fathers day) - I managed to tap out 8mm for 8mm shaft and carry on using the skate bearing theme :)
    I have just done a video on youtube if anyone is interested www.youtube.com/user/8iggles#p/a/u/0/FTQ2c-HvNvI Dont expect too much theres still loads to do I just pushed myself to get a run and prove I'm on the right track!
    Cheers Shaun
    Last edited by 8iggles; 17-06-2010 at 09:49 PM. Reason: link from post?

Thanks for the quick reply guys!

took one look at the RS prices and immediately went for the XL
    I may go that route too, just to be sure. Is it the 15mm one? Will it ride ok on the 16mm pulley? I'm kinda worried it might derail during operation. Yes, I'm going to use some kind of tensioning there, and may rig up some belt reduction too.

For the Z I have used an old G cramp for the acme screw and a sprung 2nd nut to take the backlash up
    NIce idea. I have some 12" G clamp lying around somewhere. Acme screws are non-existent here.

Thanks again.

Jordan

The Z axis is an easier one than the X and Y as the force is one way, when the cutter hits the material....so the spring and 2nd nut only have to hold the weight of the spindle.
    The ones I have used were the oldest worn sprained things you could imagine...there is sooo much slop in the thread but as long as the slack is held up no worries...I even ran the thread in and out with coarse grinding paste creating even more slop.... :)

Were the nuts spaced far apart? What are the nuts made of? I could make one out of my wife's chopping board. Are 16mm wide belts useable for 16mm hub width pulley?

Quote Originally Posted by j2sip View Post
    Were the nuts spaced far apart? What are the nuts made of? I could make one out of my wife's chopping board. Are 16mm wide belts useable for 16mm hub width pulley?
    The nuts are the are the threaded bit of the of the clamp frame I just cut off most of the frame I didn't want leaving enough to mount to...the second nut is the threaded bit if a second clamp with a tab left on to stop it turning...they are about 1/2" apart but this depends on your spring ( mine was off an old washing machine I think ) I would think you could make one from a chopping board but for me I would have had to get a tap to suit whatever thread I could get and this would cost money!! The square threads work great and even with the sprung nut it is very easy to turn.

The 16mm belt I got, fits ok on the 16mm pulleys and there is a little side clearance...There will be some stretch in the belt but, I only intend to cut foam at first so It will be fine for me

Thanks a lot. I could use a section of the G clamp rod as a tap. That's what I did with my allthread rod plastic nuts.

The 16mm belt I got, fits ok on the 16mm pulleys and there is a little side clearance...There will be some stretch in the belt but, I only intend to cut foam at first so It will be fine for me
    Now that's good news and bad news. I would want to mill and route electric guitar bodies and neck, but i'm expecting a bit of sanding after machining anyway so a little chatter may be Ok. Or I might be wrong.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information