. .
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Hi Andy

Give your head a shake and see if you can remember ; ),coz this Corian stuff is very hard to get hold of.

Andy

Opaque perspex works OK as does white nylon.
    Doesn't cut as nice but still works.

Ikea does some cutting mats for the kitchen that work nice, depends whats in. Last time I went they only had 3mm blue in.

This is just plastic waste pipe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dblNnF4JJGk

John S -

Opaque perspex works OK as does white nylon.
    Doesn't cut as nice but still works.
    That's what I used, it was just a white plastic that was translucent, it was not a brittle plastic
    Sorry, it was over two years ago when I cut it out........

Andy

4. Quote Originally Posted by audioandy View Post
    Hi Andy

Give your head a shake and see if you can remember ; ),coz this Corian stuff is very hard to get hold of.

Andy
    Not if you know someone who owns a kitchen installation company and has a big CNC granite cutter/polisher

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	services_anim.gif 
Views:	250 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	2348

I've often seen the offcuts, never found a use for them (yet)

Irving,
    Corian is a trade name for a solid surface plastic.
    It's used for worktops because if it's scratched it can be polished out. It's also expensive, my nephew uses it in his kitchen business and a 12mm sheet about 8' x 2' is £300 plus.

The 30mm stuff is over £1000 per sheet

I can get offcuts but they tend to be black marble patterns, he hardly uses white and the 6mm stuff is hardy used, mainly for splashbacks and tens to be ordered in to size.

John S -

6. I know John :) I did a lot of research into the different material types when I was having my kitchen done, which is how I got to know this guy (I went for granite in the end). Most of the stuff is black-ish but I have seen a lot of white/off-white/light-grey too (its popular in London and the south-east) as well as red, dark green, metallic silver and gold finishes (apparently quite popular in certain ethnic communities - I think thats Staron or Hi-Macs rather than Corian tho, same sort of stuff). It comes in various sheet sizes and thicknesses up to 3600 x 800 x 13 and 6mm but you can get 3mm and thicker to special order. They cut and supply for a lot of other companies in the south-east.

Quote Originally Posted by irving2008 View Post
    Not if you know someone who owns a kitchen installation company and has a big CNC granite cutter/polisher
    I was replying to the granite cutter polisher remark you made ?
    John S -

Thanks everybody, I will have to get some different materials and experiment.

Andy

9. That was beautiful. My Wife and eldest daughter loved wathcing it and I think I know what is going to the family for Christmas presents or at least part of them. A carving of a family photo and some carved pictures of around town (We live in Edinburgh and the family lives int the states). That or making some of the photos from Italy into carvings

Michael

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information