. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    What type of bearings are best suited for a spindle, is it better with a thrust bearing or like angular contact type?
    I want to use a key less 10mm chuck and I think the thread is 3/8 unf in it so 3/8 shaft size would be good.

Thanks Shaun

Hi Shaun,

I hope I'm understanding your intention. I'm no spindle expert, but a thrust bearing will only allow you to drill holes because it cannot take side loads. Therefore a pair of angular contact bearings sounds better. A spindle often runs at high speed, and therefore you might also want to consider the ceramic type of bearing.

Bit more detail about what you want to machine might help others with a spec for you.

Thanks
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

Hi Thanks for the reply, I have found a couple of roller type thrust bearings in a rummage through a box of old bearings I got from my Dad...I was going to use a couple of ball races and a thrust bearing.
    I don't need anything too robust as I'm only going to be cutting depron and balsa / liteply at first, but was worried about the speed...My thoughts were like a model aircraft engine is reported at XX BHP at like 17,000 revs ( although I have never measured or seen one at this speed ) now these are just ball races and have temp and nitro working against them?? It would be good to continue the 22mm OD theme of the skate bearings but the shaft on them is only 8mm
    Just noticed your Avatar - Is it your own design? Are you going to green acres fly in this weekend, thats in your neck of the woods ?
    Last edited by 8iggles; 23-06-2010 at 06:11 PM.

Lives in Devon, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 759. Received thanks 27 times, giving thanks to others 52 times.
    If you are into making your own spindles then there is a very good book in the 'workshop practice series' surprisingly called spindles.....for less than a tenner

Basically you have radial and axial loads to resist, normal skate bearings are good for radial but not so good for axial so if you use a thrust bearing as well then you should be OK, the next limiting factor is speed which is where the angular contacts come into play. they can be used as singles in opposing pairs under tension or as a preloaded pair and are sold with a speed rating.

taper bearings I believe are mainly used for high load and high speed like on my lathe..

Like I said this is a basic overview and there are many other factors like excessive friction/heat and then expansion of the spindle etc. etc....

Regarding the bearings in an ic engine are probably a high grade and could be deep groove bearing, much stronger than a similar looking skate bearing. Bearing quality is usually reflected by the price but unfortunatly they all look the same.
    Last edited by Ross77; 23-06-2010 at 07:51 PM.

By taper bearings do you mean taper rollers like a car wheel bearing? I had ruled these out as I was thinking a car wheel bearing is quite slow speed and high load...Angular contact are they like a front wheel drive type of bearing where its ball bearings but a closed and open side to the outer race?
    If I did them out of a common car taper wheel bearing then they could be universal to source and a reasonable price - the loads are going to be a fraction of a car its just the speed and keeping the dust out

The reason I wanted to make a spindle is to be able to have a speed control from the spindle board of the system 4 - I have worked out how to switch the dremmel on and off via the relay but want to progress and use an electric motor / speed controller from an electric model motor if this is possible

Best thing to use as you are thinking quite small is magneto bearings see http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalo...-Ball-Bearings they are good for fairly high speed.

peter

They look perfect - the E10 is within my limited skill reach :) 10mm shaft will thread 3/8 unf for locknuts and chuck and 28mm outside is not too big either, I'm sure I can find some tube that would make it possible - thanks Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Ross77 View Post
    Regarding the bearings in an ic engine are probably a high grade and could be deep groove bearing, much stronger than a similar looking skate bearing. Bearing quality is usually reflected by the price but unfortunatly they all look the same.
    You are right about the quality, on the model engines the inner bearing is always a special order as its a big shaft size and the outside diameter is not that much more, but the outer bearing they always have and say its a common one - nothing special ... dead cheap and don't last like the originals

Thanks for the replies

Hi 8iggles,

Knew I'd seen it somewhere, try this:
    http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/showth...spindle-design

I just skim read it again and it might be just right for you given your mild loads. Based on a brushless motor intended for model aircraft, cars etc. These are all over ebay (Chinese).

Just off topic briefly, since you asked, the Avatar is my own design - called Precision3. A 1.9m span Patternship running from a 10s Lipo (36v), 2KWatt brushless motor, 100A Opto SC. 5.2kg all up weight, 2 years of design, CAD, hand cut out (pre-CNC m/c!), build, cover and fly. Maiden flight about 1 month ago. Wonderful flier with no downthrust, side thrust or incidence changes required. I'll not be at the green acres - bathroom project (but Cosford LMA is on!). OK, back to the spindle . . .
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

Quote Originally Posted by routercnc View Post
    Hi 8iggles,

Knew I'd seen it somewhere, try this:
    http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/showth...spindle-design

I just skim read it again and it might be just right for you given your mild loads. Based on a brushless motor intended for model aircraft, cars etc. These are all over ebay (Chinese).

Just off topic briefly, since you asked, the Avatar is my own design - called Precision3. A 1.9m span Patternship running from a 10s Lipo (36v), 2KWatt brushless motor, 100A Opto SC. 5.2kg all up weight, 2 years of design, CAD, hand cut out (pre-CNC m/c!), build, cover and fly. Maiden flight about 1 month ago. Wonderful flier with no downthrust, side thrust or incidence changes required. I'll not be at the green acres - bathroom project (but Cosford LMA is on!). OK, back to the spindle . . .
    Yes that looks just right - Mine will not be as posh as that but the size and motor choice looks right...he also talks of the z axis between the Y axis rails as I have done and the tube which is the plunging z axis bit will have the spindle built in it

Precision3 looks great - a lot of hard work... well done on the successful maiden. My son Ollie is flying with Steve Mallinder at CML, so if we go to Cosford I'll try and say hello (sorry off topic)

Thanks Shaun

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information