. .
    Hi Guys,

It's not a CNC question but I am hoping somewhere amongst this huge font of knowledge, someone will be able to help.

My son is building some sort of computer using logic gates and a whole heap of chips etc and is doing so using wire wrap ... Does anyone know of a supplier of the 30 gauge solid core insulated wire he needs ... a dealer in the States will supply but only with a minimum order of $350+ shipping. The local Maplins do not have a clue what he is on about (No surprise there though).

I have found a site called DigiKey.co.uk but all they do, is import it from the States (Dropshipping it) and charge £21.00 for a 50 ft reel.

Thanks in advance,

Tim
    Tim G-C

“I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.”

(attrib. Voltaire but written by Evelyn Beatrice Hall "The Friends of Voltaire" 1906)

Hi Tim

Is this what you are looking for?

http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/bro...0006%2B1000395

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to audioandy For This Useful Post:

Andy, You are a genius, ... bu#*ered if I know why I didn't find that. Ordered and on it's way. Marc will be chuffed. Many thanks.
    Tim G-C

“I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.”

(attrib. Voltaire but written by Evelyn Beatrice Hall "The Friends of Voltaire" 1906)

"Genius" I'm not sure about that one : )

Glad we have got you sorted.

I only hope for his sake that he has use of an electric wraping gun as by hand its t e d i o u s very!
    Why no solder I thought wire wrap went the way of the ark!

Peter

Nope!! he is doing it all by hand, When I asked him why he wanted to build the thing in the first place, he said, "cos I can"

He is a little strange (well, he is my son) ... He cannot stand modern music, he much prefers my old Zeppelin, Joplin, Sabbath, Canned Heat and old Blues sort of stuff and has a thing for old style games consoles like the NES and even found and repaired an old Commodore PC with a tape drive to load the games ...
    Tim G-C

8. I built my first computer in 1979 using a Z80 processor completely wirewrapped on two double eurocard boards. It took me 5 weeks of evenings with a power wrapper to finish (about 1800 wraps IIRC) and a couple of weeks to find all the mistakes and rewrap! Good luck to him, I applaud the 'do it yourself' approach...

Now loading games from a tape ..... now that is dedication ....
    Good luck to him!

peter

I still use wrap wire for pcb track repair, nothing I can't fudge with wrap wire, tweezers and scalpel.

Still have the RS wire wrap stripping tool, a total favourite piece of kit, must be about 20 years old but still going strong.

A properly wire wrapped joint is gas tight and reliable, a poorly wrapped joint isn't. Fortunately you quickly get a feel for it

Thread Information