. .

Thread: File sharing

Hi
    I may have missed this on the site, but is there an area where we can share files (DXF) or where people can post drawings ( BMP's etc)that they may want converted for cutting on cnc? I have access to Autodesk , Solidworks, Inkscape, 2D studio, PCB design and make, and a few other application.

Just to divert slightly from your looking for an upload/download section on the site.

As most will already know,sending large files attached to emails is usually limited to small packages, with mine, about 6MB.

There are a couple of free ways around this, the first is Skype. Very few people know that you can use Skype for transferring files, and when chatting with friends, we quite often, during the conversation, send pictures, sketches, links and even full articles in real time. Or if you can't find the article or drawing while connected, you can easily upload it, and when they come back on line, it is ready for them to download. It seems there is no limit to the amount you can transfer. The other advantage is that you get to chat with friends around the world, face to face, free of charge. And no, there are no hidden catches, spyware or anything else, just a free service that I have been using for a few years now without any hitches at all. Of couse, you can spend money if you want to, like phoning friends half way around the world for only pennies per minute, using either your computer or a cheapo voip phone.

One I am just experimenting with is Dropbox. This is very handy if you are having a discussion between a few of you and want to send the same item to a few other people.
    You just have a folder on your computer that you drop the items in you want to share with people, the items are then automatically uploaded to a storage site. You just then send them the link by email. I have over 2GB of free storage that I can pop things into and share with all my mates.

I am not condoning it for ripping off software and such, but it does allow you to share your ideas freely with like minded people.

Bogs

Skype name - bandit175

3. Hi Colin,

Generally people attach them to the post, there are quite generous allowances for this. When you post click the 'go advanced' button and you get options to manage your own 'gallery' of files, valid types being bmp doc dxf gif jpe jpeg jpg pdf png psd txt zip

Thanks Bogs, I am an occasional skype user but I admit I was unaware of it's full capabilities ... until now.
    Tim G-C

“I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.”

(attrib. Voltaire but written by Evelyn Beatrice Hall "The Friends of Voltaire" 1906)

Lives in Manchester, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 27-01-2024 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 31.
    .. edited for wrong smiley..
    Last edited by z3t4; 01-07-2010 at 08:35 PM.

Lives in Manchester, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 27-01-2024 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 31.
    Just to add to the Skype recommendation: I used the camera to help one of the kids who was having trouble with a flatpack 500 miles away. Child navigated camera through assembly-so-far. I'm trying to make sense of it and advising which bit to look at next => Turned out Ikea had sent 2 left-hand drawer runners rather than 1 left, 1 right (which weren't indirectly symmetrical => insoluble => send back).

Also can point camera at a sheet of writing paper for real-time paper explanations (a bit like using an OHP). That's been really useful for discussing hard sums.

John

I use skype to guys, Skype name - axiscnc
    .Me

8. Quote Originally Posted by Lee Roberts View Post
    I use skype to guys, Skype name - axiscnc
    what do you use to girls then Lee lol (sorry, couldnt resist!)

Thread Information