. .
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Intrigued by your comments on price. This seemed to be the cheapest prebuilt gantry out there, and the other option I'm looking at is Exel CNC, which has better components but is also over twice the price for a similar table size. Do you have any suggestions for where else I ought to be looking? All advice gratefully received.
    Thats the problem,I'm looking at it from a "I could build it for much less than that" angle. as you want a ready built machine then you will expect to pay for that privilege. Then again if were to add up my time and the cost of all the tools and machines to build my cnc then it would be far greater than the cost of the routout one

However I like making stuff and the lathe and mill will still be of use to me even when the cnc is finally built. I'm also a believer in having the right tool for the job so I'm planning 4 or 5 machines a heavy duty mill for milling , router for routing , pcb/inlay machine for detail and a plasma cutter for quick 2d metal work. :whistling: one day in the distant future that is......

Tom has made some excellent points about pcb work, especially the fact that you need to aim higher on resolution (not the same as accuracy) to allow for error.

I had another look at the site and the new ones seem to have the patented belt/rack system (ala mike everdyne?, something like that.) which is much better for anti backlash but it still looks like it has the poor resolution that belt drives suffer from.

Look at demo pics, particularly the guitar,see the gagged wavy lines, not good. If you are going to the shop then ask to see it cut circles in Ali. good machines cut perfect round ones and bad ones make eggs :naughty:

I got distracted whilst posting so didn't see the previous 2 posts

I would say its good for wood etc but I tired to mill aluminum and its completely useless for it. The Z axis plate that the router mounts to is plastic so it flexs to much to mill any metals.
    no need to say any more i think I couldn't say it as i haven't used or tried it but here it is straight from the horses mouth.

A good test is to get them to cut a test engraving file on alloy or brass with some fine lettering. Inspect it carefully then get them to re run the same file.

If the machine is good it will just clean up the odd burrs.
    If not you will get wide letters and double cutting.

Shout up if you want a test file.

John S -

The machines repeatability is exellent, I do loads of engraving (mostly on the PCB's but I have done a little brass and ally) and I have had to restart programs, its never made the lines any wider when I did. But you cant do much more than engrave when it comes to metals.

Location unknown. Last Activity: 23-12-2012 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 10.
    These are all the sorts of comments I was after. Many thanks to all who have contributed. Cutting 3mm ali front panels is the primary use, so...

I had wanted to buy British... but now find myself looking at the Heiz models again. Certainly the videos and pictures on the website show very clear examples of my intended uses, and the pcb work looks to be an order of magnitude better (although I presume this could be down to the skills of the coder as much as the abilities of the machine?).

Particularly impressed by the deep ali milling on the first video of http://www.cnc-step.de/en/applicatio...und-weich.html

Thanks again everyone.

One thing that puts me off the Heiz units is they use unsupported linear rails and make a big show of calling other competitors and home built machines. That usually smacks of desperation.
    The Y axis looks to be only supported on one rail ?
    The web page has been updated and now no longer shows the machines as they used to.
    John S -

7. Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    One thing that puts me off the Heiz units is they use unsupported linear rails and make a big show of calling other competitors and home built machines. That usually smacks of desperation.
    Ah - but marketing is always bollocks. I would say they are more expensive than some of the competition, but the build quality seems to be good. I'm a stingy Scottish git and despite the price, I'm pleased with mine.
    The Y axis looks to be only supported on one rail ?
    The web page has been updated and now no longer shows the machines as they used to.
    The Y axis is supported on two rails.

Hi,
    Are you based in Cardiff? I have a X3 CNC small mill, and nowhere to set it up, as I have been turned out of an ex friends workshop. I would be willing to give the machine to someone, in return for letting me use it occasionally. I have all the software for designing and running the mill.
    If you are interests please contact me as soon as possible, on [email protected]
    Regards,
    John Corkett.

Quote Originally Posted by scjb View Post
    Anybody?!?
    Did you get my reply and email address?

Wow, checkout the "Moving Round The Bed Video" Z90 Router

The way the Z axis is designed there looks to be 25mm clearance to the table and yet the spindle can move up a further 65mm

Poor design.

Phil

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information