. .
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Taking the stepx(-pulse)to ground steps the motor incremently each touch to ground,Irving.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeD View Post
    Hi Irving

Are you the only techie on here?

Ok I'll peform some steps(bad pun) later on today as I need a rest from this.

I figure it just might be the bob as the charge pump led come and goes as does the power led,this board is basically naff because what happens is the led without pwer supply attached to 70v rail,glows dimly and when you attach the power supply its bright,I never known a piece of equipment that functions on the power side like that.

The charge pump led comes on and goes off when I reboot the computer ie it comes on just as it boots into the initialising screen and then goes out when windows is about to boot.

You need to step back and check thru logically, read up on what you can and if you can't understand anything ask first.
    Don't start experimenting as that the way to damage components.

It only takes one crossed wire to damage a component.

Wire up the power supply and test it.
    Make sure you know which is positive. and what voltage it's putting out.
    Then connect this to the BOB, Do you have a power light ? are you getting 5 volt and 12 volt from the auxiliary supply points at the side of the power in ?
    Connect the power supply to the drivers, do you get the power on LED lit up ?

Now connect the steppers to the drivers taking note of how they need to be wired.

Do the stepper clunk and lock on switch on ?

That proves the power side first.

As an aside what computer are you using ? and does it have an inbuilt parallel port or an add on card.?

There is nothing wrong with Roy's boards, I have fitted well over 70 - 80 different models and never had any trouble with them.
    John S -

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeD View Post
    I figure it just might be the bob as the charge pump led come and goes as does the power led,this board is basically naff because what happens is the led without pwer supply attached to 70v rail,glows dimly and when you attach the power supply its bright,I never known a piece of equipment that functions on the power side like that.
    My System 4 board does that as well so I don't think that's the problem, as Irving says, it's just picking some power up from the parallel port.

If it's the same as the System 4 board then the charge pump LED should be on when it's powered and there is a signal on the charge pump pin (provided by Mach3) so that all sounds ok as well.

I'm afraid I don't use Mach3 so I can't help with configuring that.

Good luck!
    Mark

As an aside what computer are you using ? and does it have an inbuilt parallel port or an add on card.?
    Parallel is onboard and BOB fitted direct to port without cable.

What you said above in your post I did all this on the outset of completeing the BOB ie bought as a kit,checked for no dry joints and shorting of soldered joints and compoonent configuration.
    I do have a fair bit of electronic knowledge as I repaired TV and Vids many moons ago.

The BOB seems to be finnicky in relation to the charge pump led coming on or not coming on when computer reboots,it could be paralllel port problems? but I've never had a problem printing from it and a the motors and drivers have been new I have to suspect the BOB at present,as I don't have another BOB I'm just looking for help on rectifying the problem.

Some developement,it seems and I apologise for to ROY suspecting the BOB but I've switched the motor fromX axis to Y axis and its working ie slowley executing its phase in a loaded Mach3 G-code.

So why is the X axis not functioning?

6. That is progress. Is the chargepump LED on or have you overridden it with jumper J3?

what test gear do you have available? multimeter?

Hi Irving

Charge Pump Led lit

Multimeter,I do have a oscillscope but its down at the moment...have not got round to fixing it.

Anyway as you said some progress:dance:

8. OK.. and is the motor reversing as well as stepping? (checking the DIR signal is changing as well)

What I'd do is check out the other channels Z and A (exercise A by telling Mach3 the A channel is the X channel i.e. use pins 8/9 instead of 2/3 in the configuration tab)

If they are all working its likely to be a solder bridge or dry joint on the X channel... easy enough to trace it through from pin 2 on the DB25 connector through the HC541 (using the datasheet to determine pinouts) to the 'stepX' connector.

cWill do as suggested,Irving.

What the best way to tune the motors assuming I get the X axis sorted?

Have to cut loose,got rellies down for a bit. :whistling:

10. you cant tune the motors properly til the mechanics are built, but you can set expected values. The values I gave are very conservative ones that should allow the motors to work easily.

When you are on the motor tuning page in MACH3 I believe that the up and down arrow keys cause the motor to rotate, which is a lot easier than running g-code each time to exercise that axis.
    Last edited by irving2008; 12-07-2010 at 11:57 AM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information