. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    A vid I found on youtube to demonstrate to all the non-believers why you would want to build a CNC machine.

Moderators: sorry I didn't know where to post this

Last edited by Lee Roberts; 18-07-2010 at 02:13 PM. Reason: added the vid.

Trying not to be a bore, i did like the misters sticking out the bottom of the head.
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

Saw one at a customers once, in the UK, making a wind tunnel model of a prop blade for a certain large four engined transport plane. About 8 feet long out of ali (looked like) and when it had finished, it looked like someone had spent a year polishing it! Truly amazing.
    Sherline lathe, Chester DB11V lathe, Myford/ Rodney mill, CNC mill Isel/ home made, Sealy Hack Saw, Meddings Pillar drill.

I think we all know what is possible, especially with 4 and 5 axis machines

but I still say WOW and am impressed
    let me know if you've seen a vid which demonstrates CNCs capabilities as the bigger the library to show the other half the great the chance of convincing

PS. I've got 2x 1m and 2x 85cm THKs rails with 8 blocks, a 1m and 85cm THK screw, and a 50cm screw + rails n bearings, 3x Gecko 203s she doens't know about.
    I just need to commit to a design and ask for your kind feedback.

building in 3weeks - finished in 6 weeks or much less HOPEFULLY

PPS anyone good at welding 90* corners with box steel within the M25 and need some pocket money?

PPPS Why are RSJs not used where long box section flexes/twists and 15-20mm plate is too expensive?

5. theres one on Youtube showing machining an 8 cyl V8 block out of the solid.. thats pretty impressve too...

also a W16...

Last edited by irving2008; 16-07-2010 at 07:51 PM. Reason: added links

Nice ne Irving,I never get tired of watching these vids.

Don't care what anyone says the Japanese are at the forfront of Technology.

Irving: WOW!

What name is given to the tool used to get the final finish that removes most machining marks; making it look like its been hand polished for years?
    for example finish on the vid I posted at the top

A finishing end mill cutter,if you noticed that cutter was a fine point.

Its a bit like a SMs aw the more teeth on the blade the finer the cutand vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by williamturner1 View Post

PPPS Why are RSJs not used where long box section flexes/twists and 15-20mm plate is too expensive?
    Hi Williamturner1,

RSJs are actually no better in bending than a similar sized box section, are are also very much worse in torsion. Plate, even thick plate, can also be poor because you need material away from the neutral axis for stiffness i.e. wide hollow sections.
    See the 'gantry stiffness' spreadsheet in post#2:
    http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/showth...ign-principles-.-.-.

If you have a box section which is bending or twisting too much you either to add additional supports, or need to increase the section size. Sorry, RSJs are not a panacea.

As for your new machine, sounds like you a have a nice list of bits - but naughty you for hiding them :whistling: ! Start up a new post with some sketches, scanned drawings, whatever you have, and we'll make some comments. It's worth adding what you want the machine to do.
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

Quote Originally Posted by routercnc View Post
    RSJs are actually no better in bending than a similar sized box section, are are also very much worse in torsion.
    Wicked Thread you linked to and epic spreadsheet!!

I'm considering 90 x 150mm RSJ over 120 x 80mm 4mm Box; partly as I have 4 meters of RSJ and no box but mainly as my brain tells me 90x150 RSJ wouldn't flex like Box Section would ... but the spreadsheet says otherwise

RSJ Data for the spreadsheet, 2nd entry in the table = 90x150mm : http://www.steel-beam.co.uk/universal-steel-beams.php

Quote Originally Posted by routercnc View Post
    Hi Williamturner1,
    As for your new machine ...Start up a new post with some sketches, scanned drawings, whatever you have, and we'll make some comments. It's worth adding what you want the machine to do.
    I've got 9 sketches on the back paper out the office recycling bin ... I just need a bit more time to filter the embarrassing mistakes before I post a few up and ask you to say which will be the most bendy and the least!

Thank you for the quick feedback. I can't wait for more and to start building!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information