. .
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Was talking to guy today about mig welding and reckons there's a spray that you spray on the metal near the weld area,this helps to protect the shroud from the metal and stop the wire fromwelding to the copper tip.

Was he talking a load of cobblers?

Hi George,

I don't know the answer to the above question, but when I MIG welded many years ago I seem to remember a spray to reduce splatter - maybe it's that?

Anyway, I wanted to also suggest that if you weld outside (to stop the garage catching fire for example!), and are using a gas MIG, watch out for the wind blowing the shroud away. It makes the weld splatter, and gives a visually, and probably mechanically, worse weld. Even a light breeze is enough to do it. A non-flammable shield might help, or wait until there is no wind.
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

Was talking to guy today about mig welding and reckons there's a spray that you spray on the metal near the weld area,this helps to protect the shroud from the metal and stop the wire fromwelding to the copper tip.

Was he talking a load of cobblers?
    Anti-spatter spray
    I can also vouch for box section warping, I made my machine from 60mm 2mm wall and it still warped a little even though I was ultra careful not to put too much heat into it.

Andy

Andy

Maybe thats what the guy was on about in my post#11,Chip

Auto dakening helmet off ebay came yesteday,seems to work? not tried it out against the arc of welding yet though but I will replace the outer plastic protection lense from splatter with a glass insert.

The mains cable is too heavy for a standard plug on this welder and I for the life of me cannot remember the name of the circuit breaker that appliances of this ilk used.

I used to have one and it flipped up to isolate the mains,can anyone shed light on the name of the isolater I need? :question:

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeD View Post
    Maybe thats what the guy was on about in my post#11,Chip

Auto dakening helmet off ebay came yesteday,seems to work? not tried it out against the arc of welding yet though but I will replace the outer plastic protection lense from splatter with a glass insert.
    Don't bother, the plastic will outlast glass by a long way, splatter sticks to glass, it doesn't stick to this new plastic.

John S -

Gonna attempt some welding when the weather perks up a bit?

I was mooching around for something in my den earlier on and came across some fire resistant plate,this plate looks looks like asbestos but its not,its used to seal off the inside of the chimney around the flue.

Was thinking about making a jig to protect the shroud of the mig welder fom hitting the sides of the metal box section where I'm welding a joint,the jig will attach to the square box section about 3/8" to an 1" up from the welding area maybe.

I don't think I can watch the shroud and keep an eye on the weld at the same time? so do ya reckon this jig might work for stopping the contact with the metal and at the same time its fire resistant material ie it should take the heat from the arc?

Why ?

The shroud should be insulated from the wire and earth. if it shorts out when the shroud touches the work then that's usually a pointer that it's all clogged up inside and needs a quick clean and a spray with splatter spray.
    John S -

You've lost me?

I'm protecting the shroud from hitting the metal when I side weave,basically I'll be corner welding and that is tricky trying get the weld in the corner and at the same time stop the shroud hitting the sides of the eathed metal.

It is the wire that creates the arc isn't it?

Bet you couldn't lift it Lee,depite you size.:whistling:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information