. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Lives in Nottingham, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 11-11-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 176. Referred 1 members to the community.
    Yep, this lot are right... Keep it simples.
    Still, there is something to be said for a modular off-the-shelf approach, especially if in the beginning you need to get them out the door. You could always reduce selling price (or increase profit) later by making some simplifications, and adding a bit of soldering work to the build.

thanks for all the input, as for the belt sander, this is a no-go as it generates too much heat and wrecks the structure of the rubber.
    For the overall design ie cnc / plc i did think of a mechanical advance but it started getting a bit complicated, I lay awake last night and have actually come up with a totally new design which is much simpler and something I can actually pattent. I will keep you posted as I try and get it drawn up. I still need some good quality linear rails though so il look into the links provided. Cheers

The way I see it whichever way you do it,rubber is a sod to machine with a view of getting a smooth surface on the face...thats why I asked does it work ie have you tried a mock cutting surface of the rubber?

it is hard to machine i agree, ive done trials on castors which went quite well, but the compound was harder, im gona be speaking to our tool rep next week, hopefully he will help out.
    A simular machine in america uses a rotating carbide blade angled about 45 deg to the wheel, this just peels it of with ease. I intended on something simular in my old prototype, but im hoping to simplify it and remove the motor and cost with a single point tool, something very sharp, lots of rake etc and apparently fairy liquid and water is a good cutting fluid ( aside from freezing it)

5. Quote Originally Posted by jpcnc View Post
    thanks for all the input, as for the belt sander, this is a no-go as it generates too much heat and wrecks the structure of the rubber.
    For the overall design ie cnc / plc i did think of a mechanical advance but it started getting a bit complicated, I lay awake last night and have actually come up with a totally new design which is much simpler and something I can actually pattent. I will keep you posted as I try and get it drawn up. I still need some good quality linear rails though so il look into the links provided. Cheers
    If you plan to patent anything the LAST thing you should do it mention it in the public domain!

Patent for someing can cost as little as £3 or as much as £5000,thats before you do research into whether the idea as already been put on the market somewhere in the world?

In a nutshell it ain't worth the headache if you don't have the resources.

Thats besides my point, lol all I want is advice on the build

Well you now have the chance to be more specific on what you want.
    You said
    I've worked on CNC fo 14 years
    I know nothing about CNC but by looking and listening have gained enough to put one together,it might fail it might not but surely will work even if the steppers are only dancing to a few spikes from the computer lol

I'm thinking your setup is basicallylike a mill type of CNC

Im thinking of driving my cutting axis with a motor aswell as a manual overide handle, instead of being cnc controlled i just want some kind of variable control over the feed rate. This is now going to be the only moving/working axis. I still need very sturdy linear rails. Any ideas on the motor setup? this will all run of 240v by the way.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information