Page 8 of 35 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
  1. Quote Originally Posted by Ricardoco View Post
    Ok C it is if thats what you call it,lol, i will have to dig out all my software now ......
    Yes, well sadly its not C#, but its still preferable to that basic stuff (reignites 1980's programmers flame wars lol)

  2. #72
    Well Ill start plugging away at some pseudo, while collecting bits, and putting the new bits on this machine. Mind you I could still do what i2i was hinting at and send all the signals to mach and let it sort it all out thus manually contolling the machine by proxy as it were, mind you i still wouldnt know how to give mach the speed information...

  3. #73
    Quote Originally Posted by irving2008 View Post
    (reignites 1980's programmers flame wars lol)
    With the advent of RAD software many people just dont have a desire or mental capacity to write the code in a text editor these days, in fact back in the 80's they didnt have the desire either, and lets face it 'C' is a nice bit of kit but the time to executable can be faster with the other languages, also requiring less brain power, however as you say not much beats 'C' for raw speed of the final application..

  4. Who uses a text editor?... HiMem C for the PIC is a full IDE, with colour highlighting, in-circuit debugging, stack and variable tracing... I reckon I can match pic basic for time to executable on any reasonably complex real-world task (i.e. one requiring real hardware, interrupts, comms handling, etc.) making an LED flash is not a real world program!

    but we digress......

    BTW a PIC to handle the jog buttons and convert to keystrokes for MACH3 would save on extra input lines and the need to add another parallel port....

  5. #75
    ecat's Avatar
    Location unknown. Last Activity: 08-02-2014 Has been a member for 6-7 years. Has a total post count of 157. Received thanks 5 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    HiMem C always looked nice, for my sins I chose SourceBoost when playing with C on the 16f. Big mistake, a lot of time fighting the compiler.

    These days I'd recommend using an 18f device and the free MicroChip IDE, makes for a solid combination and opens up a vast collection of sample code. A little work reading through the MicroChip documentation gives you the added benefit of source code compatibility with the newer pic32 series so if you ever need extra speed (80MHz!), io, memory, graphical user interface lol... heh, pic32 maybe overkill but it sure is sweet :)

  6. Sorry - meant HiTech C...its the one that comes with the free IDE, but I upgraded to the full version (not essential, but someone else was paying lol) HiMem C was another, older, tool I had... the compiler does a reasonable job of hiding the chip complexity, Ram banks, i/o banks etc. from you at relatively little overhead... could usefully use more than one break point for debugging but thats a limitation of the on-chip debug support rather then the compiler... but a good range of 3rd party libraries (TCP/IP stack, CAN bus stack, even a mini-webserver).

  7. #77
    Quote Originally Posted by irving2008 View Post
    Who uses a text editor?.......
    I have,, many times.:confused:

    Quote Originally Posted by irving2008 View Post
    HiMem C for the PIC is a full IDE, with colour highlighting, in-circuit debugging, stack and variable tracing.......
    Not used it myself, in fact ive never used 'C' of any description for programming a Microcontroler.


    Quote Originally Posted by irving2008 View Post
    I reckon I can match pic basic for time to executable on any reasonably complex real-world task (i.e. one requiring real hardware, interrupts, comms handling, etc.) making an LED flash is not a real world program!....
    Yes I dont doubt that for a moment, but then you are obviosly quite intelligent and thats why i said, "many people just dont have a desire or mental capacity" in fact what I meant was "MOST" not "many":heehee: and also "time to executable can be faster with the other languages" the important word being CAN.


    Quote Originally Posted by irving2008 View Post
    BTW a PIC to handle the jog buttons and convert to keystrokes for MACH3 would save on extra input lines and the need to add another parallel port....
    I will have two parallel ports on the machine but thats just because I have two, not because it will need them both.

    The thing is i will have to do some serios reading before im finished writing this code, because although I have had experience with both PICS and 'C', this has not been a vast amount, and never together. Ive never used them to interpret inputs and outputs to mach or even a PC parallel port, unlike yourself i think it would be safe to say.

    I would like to thank you for speaking to me about this on an equal basis, however it is not equal, as your knowlege of all these subjects is obviosly way ahead of mine, however im willing to learn from you and indeed have already.

  8. #78
    ecat's Avatar
    Location unknown. Last Activity: 08-02-2014 Has been a member for 6-7 years. Has a total post count of 157. Received thanks 5 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    See what you think about this http://www.arduino.cc/ or possibly this http://www.skpang.co.uk/catalog/prod...roducts_id=474 (http://www.schmalzhaus.com/UBW32/) plus http://www.cpustick.com/index.htm for any basic fans ( :confused: ).

    The Arduino is the hobbyists choice at the moment for small projects, I think it rather costly for what it is.

    The Bitwacker gives a lot more bang for buck, but adds some complexity to the software development.

    They cost more than a simple chip + support electronics but both have free development tools and neither require dedicated programming hardware. In addition they come pre-assembled and ready to use... Always a benefit :)

    Both are total over-kill for a rev counter + LED display, where they win is ease of use. Should you want to add functionality at a later date, they have capacity to spare - the bitwacker could probably drive your whole cnc setup and still have time to make the tea :)
    Last edited by ecat; 05-08-2010 at 01:13 PM.

  9. I have both Arduino and Freescale Automotive (8 and 32bit) dev kits, but I keep coming back to the PIC 16F/18F series for small projects, mainly because the smaller DIP-style PICs are just so easy to create prototypes with and usually have more than enough bang for the peanuts they cost. Not tried the PIC32 world yet.

    A 16 or18pin PIC16F, a cheap display, a bit of stripboard and a 4Mhz resonator are all thats needed for a simple rev counter
    Last edited by irving2008; 05-08-2010 at 12:50 PM.

  10. #80
    Or a piece of foil and one of those ebay 25 point and shoot auto reader counters.

Page 8 of 35 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The Boxford 260VMC as you probably never seen it before!
    By rnr107 in forum Boxford Vertical Mills
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 6 Days Ago, 12:26 PM
  2. Boxford 260 VMC
    By shoeswith in forum Boxford Vertical Mills
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-04-2017, 06:20 PM
  3. boxford vmc 300
    By bigred5765 in forum Boxford Vertical Mills
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 22-04-2014, 04:22 PM
  4. Boxford mt2
    By Hellfire in forum Boxford Lathes
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-08-2012, 08:46 AM
  5. Boxford 160 TCL
    By Brinner in forum Boxford Lathes
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 31-03-2012, 09:11 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •