. .
Page 6 of 35 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Thanks for that in-depth insight...
    You're welcome,Irving.

I was going to give a better explanation but it too early in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by irving2008 View Post
    Yes. with that number of holes was probably used for closed loop spindle speed control rather than just speed measuring. Have you retained the spindle speed controller and do you plan to reuse it?
    The Controller for the spindle is a Lenze 534. I will be keeping this on the machine.

Even at this age it would have been 0 - 8v or 0 - 10v control signal and MACH3 can drive that through a suitable speed interface
    Ive ordered an interface for mach control from cncdoctor and yes it is 0-10v

Any idea what the max spindle speed might be?
    The motor has the numbers 370-4000 engraved on it however with gearing i think we are looking at around 3000rpm max at the tool, probably 2500-3000rpm. The spindle pickup was wired directly to the old main board so i can only assume it was processed there but as that is now gone i need an alternative and it would be nice to have the side effect of a display on the machine itself.

Thanks for that in-depth insight...
    :lmao:lol that made me really laugh!!

For the life of me I cant understand why we dont have a Usefull little circuit like the Trexon Tachulator from MKC Tools here on a UK site, or if there is?? why it is so difficult to find, Buy it, Fit it, Use it, Enjoy it, simplezzz. (obviosly not)

4. I am pretty sure (tho I've not looked at the manual) that MACH3 can provide a spindle speed display, but that wouldnt be on the machine... which would be nifty but not of any great value... finding an off the shelf panel mounted rev counter might be tricky, a quick google didnt reveal anything useful... whatever it is needs to be able to scale at 50:1. A simple PIC-based solution would be easy to implement tho...

That Texon is ugly, but easy to replicate... maybe I'll knock up a quick PIC design for it...

Well it may be ugly but its better than the ones available over here, i found loads of people asking for a circuit to do this but not many links to sites, I cant imagine there is no demand for this type of product, in fact reading the manual for the Texon they even provide a printable overley for your convienience.
    There are plenty of people such as yourself who can do a little pic circuit with output to a display of some description and the maths is not too difficult for the program 50pulses=1rev for just a counter, introduce a clock and you have a tacho (not that simple i know) but it is for those people such as yourself and myself for that matter but an off the shelf solution would be better for the masses.

Yet again I am gobsmacked by the range of knowledge and skills displayed here on the Forum. For the short time I have been a member here I cannot remember a problem that has not been solved in some way or another.
    Tim G-C

“I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.”

(attrib. Voltaire but written by Evelyn Beatrice Hall "The Friends of Voltaire" 1906)

Oh cool the postman has just dropped of some goodies for my collection

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0032.JPG 
Views:	399 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	2524

12 Relay board DPDT...made by me
    27 Switches SPST latching and non latching...fleabay
    2 x 0-27vdc power supply boards...maplin
    Motor Speed interface for mach...cncdoctor
    Opto breakout board...cncdoctor
    Standard breakboard...from the shed
    50 x bc547 transistors ....fleabay
    100 3k3 resistors..... fleabay
    100 bi-colour LED's...from shed
    100 Chrome LED panel mounts... from shed

and so it begins........

Hey wobblybootie that a cool avatar!!!!

Rick
    Last edited by Ricardoco; 03-08-2010 at 11:45 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ricardoco For This Useful Post:

Lives in Manchester, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 27-01-2024 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 31.
    Les Jones posted this, first on the Shumatech site, then on MEW.

It works very nicely as a tachometer. I used an Allegro gear tooth sensor and just told it to count 65 teeth per rev.

HTH,

John

Quote Originally Posted by z3t4 View Post
    Les Jones posted this, first on the Shumatech site, then on MEW.

It works very nicely as a tachometer. I used an Allegro gear tooth sensor and just told it to count 65 teeth per rev.

HTH,

John
    Thank you for the link, This looks like a very nice circuit. I was rather trying to avoid digging out the pic programmer and all the other gumph that goes with it. But unless i can get an off the shelf solution, that seems to be the way i will have to go, as both yourself and Irving have indicated.

Ive just moved home and that stuff formed the least important box when moving, which I suspect means it is in the most awkward place in the garage under god knows what.... HELPPPPPPPPP...

11. no probs rick... write the code and i'll program a PIC for you... if I havent done it first myself... lol what's your preferred flavour of PIC?

The Les Jones solution is neat, but limited... the Trexon's ability to display Surface Speed based on diameter is useful

Page 6 of 35 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread Information