. .
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    This guy shouldn't be allowed in a machine shop...eck! he's lethal.

??????????

I saw nothing wrong with that, everyday machining operation.
    John S -

Using a fly cutter to get a good suface finnish, " how dare he, some one call the HSE......."

George
    Why are you posting random S**T, It had nothing to do with the original or previous posts...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post

Ref the angular contact bearings, I'm not really sure. I think the way the big boys do it is to pair a set of single row angular contact bearings opposite each other, and preload them, either next to each other at the chuck end (as a matched pair, with a simple roller at the other end of the shaft), or preloaded along the whole length of the shaft (a non-matched pair, one at each end). I reserve the right to be proven wrong.
    I've done it pretty much as per the video to be honest i.e. an angular contact bearing behind the chuck with a thrust bearing the other side of the plate and preloaded them, a simple bearing holds the other end of the shaft. Works really well for router use and I suppose it would work for light engraving on Aluminium but I'd never try machining, I'd convert a rotary table for that (Mr Kip was kind enough to donate a stepper adaptor for such use).

I'll tell you what was REALLY nice about this project. The fact I designed the plates and cut them on my macine and all the bits, bearings, stepper etc. just fit first time, no filing, no drilling larger holes because one was .25 of a mil out because the dot punch slipped, everything just fit and lined up. I know it SHOULD do that anyway but I still find it all amazing and it was worth doing just for that glow you feel when it all goes to plan. My mate at work Kenny has been doing CNC lathe for many years, most at RR, and he says he still gets the same kick when the bits all just slot together first time every time. Wonder if others do :)
    Nothing is foolproof......to a sufficiently talented fool!

Why are you posting random S**T, It had nothing to do with the original or previous posts...
    Its my post is it not?

I find this idea of what he's done there highly dangerous and certainly wouldn't attempt that piece of contraption.

But George,

Flycutting has been done for many years, probably as long as there have been machine shops, safely and successfully. If there is any danger it's the fact the guard isn't in place so he could film the operation but that's all. You wouldn't think anything of mounting that part in a lathe and machining it, it's the same thing except the tool is moving not the piece (I'd say the fly cutter was safer IMO)

Quote Originally Posted by Smiler View Post
    . . . still gets the same kick when the bits all just slot together first time every time. Wonder if others do :)
    Definitely. Made a small box for my Wife's sewing kit some time back. Box jointed all the corners, slipped together a treat, gentle sand - hey presto! Still amazing when it all comes together.

George,
    What are you thinking of making with your new machine and 4th axis?
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

George,
    What are you thinking of making with your new machine and 4th axis?
    Keeping it simple now,decided to use the chuck and spindleon a home made lathe.

Got the motor(2500rpm),got the pullys...one 50mm V type for motor shaft,one 4" for the spindle...will worry about gearing when its up and running? the speed contoller is a simple one for now ie it came off a defunctn router.
    The bed will be 25x25x3mm box section,Ifigured its not worth making it big ie 600x250x250mm should do it.
    Ordering the toolpost and tail stock from www.littlemachineshop.com

Why is it that you can get anything and everything under the sun from the states and you try here in the UK and its like looking for a needle in a haystack...really pi**es me off trying to buy stuff over here.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeD View Post

Why is it that you can get anything and everything under the sun from the states and you try here in the UK and its like looking for a needle in a haystack...really pi**es me off trying to buy stuff over here.
    Amen to that George, I suppose it's just the vast market out there that means every niche can be filled by someone simply because the demand exists. It always makes me smile when I see people from the states say they went down to their local DIY shed and bought 10 feet of trapezoidal thread, try that at B&Q or Wickes!

Jeff.

Quote Originally Posted by Smiler View Post
    Amen to that George, I suppose it's just the vast market out there that means every niche can be filled by someone simply because the demand exists. It always makes me smile when I see people from the states say they went down to their local DIY shed and bought 10 feet of trapezoidal thread, try that at B&Q or Wickes!

Jeff.
    But have you seen the quality of their DIY gear ?
    Our local fastners outlet keeps trapezoidal on the shelf and they can get it in if it's a non stocked size but you need a reasonable order.
    John S -

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information