. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Was browsing the net on how to do this and came across this site for the Acid...
    http://www.reagent.co.uk/sulphuric-a...tery-acid.html

And here's the procedure....
    http://astro.neutral.org/anodise.shtml

Just thought someone would like their CNC made with Aluminium in a had scatch free surrface with any colour they fancy.

Very interesting thank you for that link...

You're welcome,Rick.

If you want itcoloured? Dylon washing machine dye is the colour dye to go for,stay away frrom the cheaper product ie handwash dylon dye.

Anodising gives Ally a none scratch surface and looks great in desired colours.

Just in case you want to know where to get the acid from, try the motor factors who will sell it in 1 litre bottles as motorcycle battery top up. They should only sell it in 1 litre quantities at a time under their guidelines so if you want more take some friends to buy 1 each :-)
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

Not in my neck of the woods they don't.

Even Caustic Soda is scarce in these parts.

Caustic soda can be got from the cash and carry's or office cleaning supplies :-). Try you local corner shop and get them to grab you some on their next trip for supplies....Easy really, just think outside the box
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

I'll have a better chance of selling secondhand fridges to the eskimo's. :heehee:

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeD View Post
    Was browsing the net on how to do this and came across this site for the Acid...
    Battery Acid : UK Chemical Suppliers, Buy Chemicals Online

And here's the procedure....
    http://astro.neutral.org/anodise.shtml

Just thought someone would like their CNC made with Aluminium in a had scatch free surrface with any colour they fancy.
    I had the same issue, I ended up using Anodising First Choice Anodising First Choice - Hard Anodising, Soft Anodising, Colour Anodising, Chromic Anodising, Powdercoating, Electropolishing to remove my anodising as like other said, its hard to get hold of strong caustic based acids to remove anodising, especially hard anodising. They only charged me £10 and gave it a light polish over for free too!

That links extortionate pricewise i paid £32 for
    10lts Hydrochloric acid 33%
    25ltr drum of distilled water
    25lrs Sulphuric acid 33%
    Unfortunately the place where got it from dont want me to broadcast.

Until last 8 years or so there was only three internet sites providing info how to, none worked.
    For me sulphuric at 19% running 14.2v. The only success was if wedged in aluminium in to a hole really tight.

Lives in Nottingham(ish), United Kingdom. Last Activity: 09-03-2013 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 55. Received thanks 2 times, giving thanks to others 2 times.
    I've been home anodising using the 720 LCD method for years with good & repeatable results. If you follow the rules it's easy.

Caswell have an excellent forum that caters to beginner's & experienced alike.

Anodizing Questions

You don't need to spend £100's on equipment but I'd STRONGLY recommend an investment in a constant current power supply if you don't want every run to be an experiment.

I get my acid & water from a local truck & forklift battery supplier in 25l drums, every town should have one nearby, ask at your local forklift hire & sales Co'. Caustic soda should be readily available from any 'proper' DIY hardware shop, I get mine from Wilko's at £2ish for 500g.

Most of my failed runs in the early days were down to using alu' wire for the part or allowing the temp in the tank to rise too much. Now I use titanium welding rods & a bilge pump to circulate the acid.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information