. .
Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast
    Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Oil filter seals aren't any softer than o-rings, and by the time they get changed, they've usually hardened up even more.

You do get o-rings made from softer material, but they're not common place.
    I wonder what the proper name for the seal strip type stuff that comes in strips and used for sealing junction box covers is called. I've worked on various junction boxes, where the seal is just a press fit into a machined groove. It's usually a round or rectangular shape, and is normally very soft so you get a good seal with minimal pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    Oil filter seals aren't any softer than o-rings, and by the time they get changed, they've usually hardened up even more.

You do get o-rings made from softer material, but they're not common place.
    I wonder what the proper name for the seal strip type stuff that comes in strips and used for sealing junction box covers is called. I've worked on various junction boxes, where the seal is just a press fit into a machined groove. It's usually a round or rectangular shape, and is normally very soft so you get a good seal with minimal pressure.
    I know what you mean M_C old tobacco tins use to have an orange'ish rubber seal but now it looks like some kind of bonding ..and comes away in bits.The other thing of course is jam making jars .. u can get replacement seals in all sorts of sizes.. they are flat an i think quite soft, I shall borrow one off my mum on Sunday :)

Jar Seals

Fiction is far more plausible when wrapped around a thread of truth

Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    A quick google for "enclosure sealing gasket" turned up this on ebay.

4. Mark,

I have an idea of setting up jigs for cutting parts and using your idea of a syringe, with a valve to create the vacuum to hold them down. Where do you get your syringes from? I would be hooking the tubing into a block of HDPE that would be shaped so that flat surface on the bottom would have vacuum draw against them to help hold the piece in place. If you could let me know where you got those from and/or what you consider good pricing I will post some pictures of the pieces once they are assembled and working.

The other idea I am looking at in a vacuum bed made out of a solid surface (Hi-MACS or Corian). Which since they are non porous could be a very useful option instead of steel or aluminium. Also a good bit easier to machine and assemble.

Michael

PM me your address and I'll send you a slack handful (work was binning old stock so they didn’t cost me anything)

the idea works quite well for specific tasks like engraving lots of the same item but for a larger bed/pads it would take quite a bit of effort to draw out the static volume.
    Remember to put the one way valves close to your syringe to get maximum draw

The way I had mine set up it worked like a by bicycle pump but in reverse

If it were me, I'd be looking at suction cups of some sort. Maybe some of these: 2 Acupuncture Massage Suction Cup Heat back Pain Relief | eBay but it might be difficult to remove the work piece once it was under vacuum.

The other option might be to use dent pullers like these: Mini Dent Puller Bodywork Panel Remover Removal Tool Car Van Suction Cup Glass | eBay but attach them to the machine and activate them with an air cylinder or some other mechanical actuator.

On the syringe theme, you could use air cylinders to create a vacuum. You could either use one air cylinder and actuate it manually or use 2+ with one as the actuator (i.e. you feed one with compressed air and it then pulls the other(s) to create a vacuum). Air cylinders are not cheap to buy new but can be manufactured at home if you have a decent lathe. Hydraulic cylinders are another option (minus the oil!). Or the scrap yard...

Lives in Devon, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 759. Received thanks 27 times, giving thanks to others 52 times.
    Might have the wrong end of the stick as I haven't read all posts from the beginning but if you are looking for a vacuum pumps then most compressors can used the other way around, especially the diaphragm pumps.

Clarke Mini Air Compressor - Wiz - Machine Mart Bit pricey but easy to mod, just fix a tube to the intake filter plate and keep the output open. depending on the amount of vacuum you need you could use the smaller 12v tyre inflates or even a fish tank aerator.

Quote Originally Posted by m.marino View Post
    Mark,

I have an idea of setting up jigs for cutting parts and using your idea of a syringe, with a valve to create the vacuum to hold them down. Where do you get your syringes from? I would be hooking the tubing into a block of HDPE that would be shaped so that flat surface on the bottom would have vacuum draw against them to help hold the piece in place. If you could let me know where you got those from and/or what you consider good pricing I will post some pictures of the pieces once they are assembled and working.

The other idea I am looking at in a vacuum bed made out of a solid surface (Hi-MACS or Corian). Which since they are non porous could be a very useful option instead of steel or aluminium. Also a good bit easier to machine and assemble.

Michael
    Michael, I made a vac bed using grey pvc. Bottom sheet 20mm, top sheet 6mm with 5mm round gasket/o ring seals. this works very well. I can send you dxf (if I can find it!) of my vac table if you wish to give an idea of what I did if you wish. G.

9. Geoffrey,

If you can find it that would be great. What kind of pump are you using to get the vacuum pressure with?

Michael

Michael, send me your email address and I'll send the dxf file. I use two small GAST pumps, table divided in 2 halves. G.

Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Thread Information