The 7700kv motor is only for use in my model car!

Quote Originally Posted by blackburn mark View Post
i didnt realise it was mentiond in this thread :whistling:

also irving came up with ideas but again its all a bit rocket science to me at the moment
Yes modifying the servo tester is a good way of doing it. The problem is we'd need no know what the pot is connected to first..i.e the circuit diagram of the servo tester. I don't have any servo testers so I can't really help there yet.

The servo tester could be as simple as the one here:
http://pcbheaven.com/wikipages/How_RC_Servos_Works/
(There's some good info there on how servo signals work. It's the same for the ESC so worth reading.)
In which case you can't easily change the pot.
Maybe open up your servo tester and take a picture...

Going back to the connecting the parallel port directly to the ESC idea, I must just be explaining it badly.

Have you got a multimeter/voltmeter?
If so connect it between the pin you want the spindle on and ground on the parallel port. Set the spindle to full speed in Mach3 and check that the voltage is around 5v (definitely no more than say 5.5v).

If that's the case then for testing purposes just get two bits of wire, connect one wire from the ground (black/brown) wire on the ESC 3 pin connector to ground on the parallel port (any pin from 18 to 25). Connect the other wire from the output pin on the parallel port to the signal wire on the 3 pin connector (white/yellow/orange). DON'T connect anything to the red wire on the 3 pin connector.

From there just try the settings I mentioned earlier in mach3 and see what happens. I'm sure it'll become clearer once you've got it connected.

Do you use anything like windows messenger/Skype etc? If so that could be an easier way for me to explain this.