. .
    Hi there,

I recently built a CNC Router after watching varous videos online & for the last week or so ive managed to mill a couple of signs and engrave a few patterns etc. It has a few teathing problems but overall ive been surprised at the modest success i have had.

While testing the beast ive been using some cheap old router bits i had knocking about but would like to now tryout a few end mills etc. Im a little confused on how i go from my routers collet which is a fixed size to various sized endmills. Do i litteraly need a new collet for each and every size I require? Sorry I know its a daft question, its just there are so many on the market I find it confusing to get my head round.

Thanks in advance

Oh yes one more thing, any recommendation on where to get 10mm bore collars to hold my leadscrews in place?

Welcome to the madhouse.

Whats your router collet size? if its 1/2" the there are reducers to come down in size.

If the router is 1/4" then you're restricted to 2 sizes,look at the routers manual or look it up on the net at what end mills shank size it will take.

Thanks for getting back to me so quick.

The router comes with both a 1/2 inch and a 1/4 inch collet so im open to sugestions, by the sounds of it a half inch reducer would be the one, if you could point me at a few examples that would be great. :)

Any online store will ell them,ie Axminster,Wealdons ect,take a look on ebay?

But only go for the routers manufacturer brand because some are differrent inserts size?

I shop here for spares of my tools
    http://www.powertoolspares.com/index.php

Thanks for all your help, think ive got my head around the collet situation :)

All new problems found, I seem to have leadscrew slippage on the z axis but that should be an easy enough fix./ I would be intrested in sugestions on the z axis acceleration settings people are using tho?

Thanks again.

Hi and welcome!
    .Me

Thread Information