. .

Thread: Clarke Lathe

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks Irving.

All sussed now,theres a little tensioning plate spring recessed in the shaft under the dial, a little bending of the tensioner plate and its gone a bit stiffer now.:clap:

Lathe is allnice and clean now,but I want to swap over the chuck and spindle size to the larger size I have and use the smaller chuck possibly as a fourth axis?

Problem is I don't have a press to remove the bearings fom the stock casting,any ideas folks? short of buying a bearing puller?.

3. Go find a local gearbox repair place, they should have a suitable press.. and they can push the new ones in for you, keeping them properly square... bearing puller is fine for wheel hubs etc, but not for precision bearings...

When boring,does one maintain the same height as per outside turning ie center the tip of the tool for middle or just below middle of the workpiece?

Whiplash from overhaning rod sticking out the back end of the spindle,how do you overcome this?

6. Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeD View Post
    When boring,does one maintain the same height as per outside turning ie center the tip of the tool for middle or just below middle of the workpiece?
    yes you do

7. Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeD View Post
    Whiplash from overhaning rod sticking out the back end of the spindle,how do you overcome this?
    turn up a close fitting tapered sleeve the you insert in the end of the spindle.... for very long pieces an additional steady is needed (I used the fixed steady mounted on a lump of wood and clamped in my workmate)

Cheers,Irving.

I wasn't sure about using a sleeve loaded in the spindles rear,I'll cut a bit of broom handle off her indoors broom,she won't fly around as fast then. lol

Whats the stronger material Delrin or Nylon? going to purchase some on ebay to account for this type of scenario.

9. Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeD View Post
    Cheers,Irving.

I wasn't sure about using a sleeve loaded in the spindles rear,I'll cut a bit of broom handle off her indoors broom,she won't fly around as fast then. lol

Whats the stronger material Delrin or Nylon? going to purchase some on ebay to account for this type of scenario.
    all depends on what you plan to do...delrin is harder wearing and the better engineering plastic generally, Nylon is cheaper... Nylon is good for rollers and stuff where friction is low but there's not much sliding movement... delrin is the better choice for things such as leadscrew nuts where there is a trade off between friction and wear...

Its only for the rear spindle inserts for a couple of different sized longish bars to stop the whiplash.

Just turned this threaded rod down from 12mm to 10mm for the bearing,chuffed I am... don't want to push it on all the way just yet as the end bit needs a screwthread on it tolockthe bearing in place,mind you it doesn't really need it as the bearing is a tight fit.

Forgotto say,this is stainless steel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 463.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	194.5 KB 
ID:	2615  
    Last edited by GeorgeD; 12-08-2010 at 10:49 AM.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information