. .
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Ok,so I've bought me a DTI,however thats fine for round bar material but...

Square block material hows that aligned? same procedure for round bar?

Cheers

Hmmm,no answers as of yet.

The only way I can think of centralising a square block is drawing a diagonal lines across its corners and finding the center,then slip it in the chuck.

Stick a center in an arbour on the tailstock,offer up the tailstock to the workpice and adjust the center mark on workpiece to align with center.?

3. Square block material hows that aligned? same procedure for round bar?
    Pretty much. You need to ensure the DTI is dead on centre then compare opposite faces by rocking the chuck for a minimum reading

The only way I can think of centralising a square block is drawing a diagonal lines across its corners and finding the center,then slip it in the chuck.Stick a center in an arbour on the tailstock,offer up the tailstock to the workpice and adjust the center mark on workpiece to align with center.?
    It is easier and more accurate if you trap another lathe centre between the tail-stock centre and the centre-punch dot, then set the DTI on the trapped centre (alternatively make yourself a wiggle centre like this - http://www.frets.com/HomeShopTech/To...glycenter.html)

[edit] There are some real gems on Frank Ford's site, well worth reading.

Bill

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillTodd For This Useful Post:

Thanks for that,Bill.

Will have a look through that site.:clap:

As mentioned above, here is a picture of the operation.

This can be used to centralise any pop mark in the four jaw.

Using two centres, one in the tailstock, and one between the tailstock centre and the pop mark. Then use your clock on the centre that is suspended in the middle.

You should find all good centres have a centre location in the small end, even ones with tangs on, and everyone should have two centres with their lathe, one for the tailstock, one for the spindle. Don't try to use a 'live' centre for the middle one.

Hope this explains it OK.

Bogs

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bogstandard For This Useful Post:

Thanks Bogs.

No need for a big rod then.

Was going to email the bloke and ask him where he found his big rod. lol

Lives in Devon, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 759. Received thanks 27 times, giving thanks to others 52 times.
    Thats Bill, John, another techniqe to add to the list...A picture is definatly worth a thousand words

Ain't it just.

This was shown to me about 40 years ago, and I took the shot during one of my builds, about three years ago.

People do have a tendency not to look to the past, but look around for modern marvels to solve a problem.

I used to go around boot sales looking for old engineering books. A 20p book from the past has solved many of my problems up to now, and will carry on doing so into the future.

Try it sometime, you will be amazed at what you can pick up, information wise.

There is very little new any more in setting up machinery and jobs, most are old ideas, brought up to date, and charged big bucks for.

Oldies but goodies.

Bogs

Very true that Boggy.

As the old saying goes...you cannot teach an old dog new tricks..or words to that effect.

We are well into the future and yet we're still riding round on four wheels that was born in the fourth Millenium BC. lol

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information