. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi,

I recently bought a work bench and attached to it was a wood lathe which I'd like to start using it.

It has come only with centres and no faceplate so I'm trying to work out what size thread it's likely to have. There is a peel off label (most of which is missing) which has the letters SGS but I can't find any info on SGS wood lathes on-line - does anyone know anything about them, i.e. is it likely to be metric or imperial thread ? Is the company still in existence? The lathe has a large Gryphon motor if that helps. I have attached a photo.

As you can probably tell I'm very new to this so any thoughts would be most appreciated. Thank you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lathe.jpg 
Views:	1738 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	2593  

Looks home made to me, it doesn't even have a bed as such.
    It's probably been built from off the shelf components like a Picador spindle, that rusty drive centre looks like it's been made from an ordinary nut. can you unscrew this and measure the thread under ir ?
    John S -

3. The Following User Says Thank You to John S For This Useful Post:

That is possible, the bed has been sawn in two to accomodate bannister rails!! It is rusty indeed but not beyond recovery (I believe) to a mad person like me who likes getting things working! I have dismounted the lathe at the moment and the nut is awaiting the WD40 to work so I'll try what you suggest and post back. Many thanks.

This definatly homemade,you can tell by the crude nature of the thingand the pillow blocks look new.

SGS is probably just the initials of the person that made it?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to GeorgeD For This Useful Post:

In that case should I look for manufacturers names on the pulleys and chisel post to get a clue about replacement parts etc.? Or are there companies which sell parts for a "build-your-own"?

The lathe was kind of free with a 4' X 2' bench which also had a (now repaired) Record No. 52 vice - all for £7.50! so I don't mind spending a bit to get it going.

Replacement parts for what? you can knck one of them up with stock items.

http://www.rdgtools.co.uk/acatalog/N...ing_Soon_.html
    http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalo.../Pillow-Blocks

The best people to advise you on woodlathes are ones that use wood lathes....

http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/

10. The Following User Says Thank You to GeorgeD For This Useful Post:

I'll try the other forum then - I thought this was a forum for both wood and metal working - ooops!

You don't need a faceplate unless you are bowl turning, although even that that is quite possble without. What you do need is tailstock, a centre with prongs around it and a rest to support the tool.

Top tip for wood turning is cut, don't scrape. Rest the tool against the wood, high enough that it doesn't cut, bring it down slowly, as soon as it starts to cut that is the right angle

Robin

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Robin Hewitt For This Useful Post:

Well it is but mostly CNC and metalworking but wood does come intothe equasion when routin in wood. :-)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to GeorgeD For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information