Evening all, I've had an avid interest in CNC for about 3 or 4 years, bought a CNC machine off a chap that never arrived and got my fingers burnt. Hey ho... I've got the itch to build myself one now and would like to make it out of Aluminium Extrusion rather than mdf.

It would have to be a work in progress machine as I can't really afford to go out and buy everything at once and then sit piecing it together. Do you think it would be better as my first build to follow some plans, or adapt some plans? (assuming I can find some suitable to adapt). I'm quite practically minded and not too daft when it comes to tools. I've only found one (well one free) set of plans that use extrusion and thats all in imperial, which is a bit difficult to get here The only thing I'm really unsure of is the mechanics and making sure I get it right. I don't have the ability to make nice diagrams to show you my ideas, i'm old school with a pencil, ruler and a piece of paper :heehee: I can alter them quickly then too!

I'm after a cutting area of around 1000x800mm and 3-axis. If I designed my own I'd probably start on the X and Z axis. I get the feeling I should start from the ground up and build the base first then up and up, but I'd like to tackle the hard parts first.

So anyone reckon they could guide a newbie with some extremely daft questions? :heehee:

So far I would opt for Hiwen Rail and Bearing blocks on an aluminium extrusion frame... opinions?

Many, many thanks!