. .
Page 12 of 82 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast
    Sounds like yours and my machines electrics will be the same I was going to look into the closed loop system but for what I'll be using it for I couldn't really justify the extra. I've also been looking at that as I was wondering if I could use the PWM output to control my RC Speed Controller which will be powering my spindle. Sounds like some combined purchases could be made here!!! Yes seen a few threads, I'm fine mechanically but anything electrical leaves me cold...
    Neil...

Build log...here

I own a soldering iron and I even switched it on once...

I'm actually quite interested in the electronics I just don't really have time to learn as much about it as I would like. I think I'll probably build the PSU as it's only a dozen or so components, more complicated magic will have to wait.

If you want to get together for a brain storm on the electrics or to put together a combined purchase just give me a shout.

More than happy to get together for a brainstorm on the electrics, would be good if we both have the same as then we can help each other out (seeing as we only live a couple of miles apart!) in case of problems. I'm definitely going to build my own PSU but will need to check from the experts on here that I'm getting the correct parts.

Will give you a shout when it's time to get the electrics, in turn give me a shout if you're ready before me to get them as I'm going to concentrate on the build of the frame first as the electrical bits have a 12 month warranty and I'll want that to be as near as possible to the end of the build...
    Neil...

Build log...here

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chip cover-1.jpg 
Views:	383 
Size:	331.1 KB 
ID:	10146Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chip cover-X axis belts.jpg 
Views:	489 
Size:	276.1 KB 
ID:	10147Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chip cover-Y axis.jpg 
Views:	432 
Size:	189.9 KB 
ID:	10150OK Dean, switched the gantry around again to how it was before. Have put a folded aluminium enclosure over the Z axis, on the bottom of the Z there will be a rubber cover (5mm thick rubber with cut outs for the rails) to stop chips going up into the bearings. Have put deflectors on the X axis to stop chips hitting the linear rail, also put a deflector down the bottom so chips slide into the bin. Have altered the ballscrew mounting so it's on 20mm block and not the aluminium box section as I'm not using that anymore. I will also put a cover over the X axis belt and steppers.

Couple of questions now...
    1. I'm going to use 1 stepper and belt (T5, 15mm wide) and pulleys to drive the X axis, what number teeth pulleys would you recommend? I take it that it's worth getting spare pulleys and belts so that the option of 1:1 and 1:2 (stepper to ballscrew) is available?
    2. For the belt idlers/tensioners I was going to use skate bearings (as I've got sh*t loads of them) and penny washers, I couldn't see any specific idlers for the belts?
    Last edited by njhussey; 16-09-2013 at 03:33 PM.
    Neil...

Build log...here

Quote Originally Posted by njhussey View Post
    Couple of questions now...
    1. I'm going to use 1 stepper and belt (T5, 15mm wide) and pulleys to drive the X axis, what number teeth pulleys would you recommend? I take it that it's worth getting spare pulleys and belts so that the option of 1:1 and 1:2 (stepper to ballscrew) is available?
    2. For the belt idlers/tensioners I was going to use skate bearings (as I've got sh*t loads of them) and penny washers, I couldn't see any specific idlers for the belts?
    Depends on how your having belt system.? My machine is setup with 2 pulleys bolted together on one screw with a single pulley on other. A short belt goes from motor to first pulley then connecting belt goes between screws. The ratio is 1:2 motor with 40T and first pulley 20T Connecting pulleys are 36T. I then have 2 spare pulleys for 1:1 or 1:3 ratio 20T & 60T.
    Connecting pulleys could easily be 20T for simplicity sake but I just happened to have spare 36T so used them.

Don't go smaller than 20T other wise you don't get good tooth engagement and the belts wear quicker or worse they can jump. I'd also use HTD belts/pulleys not T5 has thou they are very similar the HTD just seem better fitting belt.

Yep skate bearings and large Penny washers work fine for idlers.!!
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 16-09-2013 at 11:04 PM.

I was thinking along the lines of this, but measuring it is just over 2000mm long so might have to re-think it...oh and before someone comments I know it will have to be a belt and not a piece of string

Name:	X axis belt.jpg 
Views:	434 
Size:	194.9 KB 
ID:	10164
    Neil...

Build log...here

Nice bit of string you've got there ;-)

Looks like your coming to much the same conclusion I did. I'm sure a belt will work but it's certainly a long belt. I decided I'd rather use two steppers and have the open back that I could shove long work out if needed. Feels like one of those six of one half a dozen of the other decisions.

I'm not planning on being able to shove long work in and out, won't be practical anyway as I'm limited by the roof and floor as mine's almost vertical. I've just added some bracing to the legs so that's made the cutting area smaller with my previous width of Z axis....so I've narrowed it. I'm hoping that it's not too narrow, it's now 145mm wide. I'll have to check the 15mm carriages but I think they'll be ok at that width...

Name:	Additional Frame Bracing.jpg 
Views:	373 
Size:	298.2 KB 
ID:	10165Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Additional Frame Bracing-2.jpg 
Views:	334 
Size:	469.1 KB 
ID:	10166
    Neil...

Build log...here

Just been looking at PV solar panels, leisure batteries and charge controllers for the shed so I can have some 12V LED lighting in there as well as being able to charge my RC LIPOs etc...interesting little project

Broken the different frames out and coloured them so they stand out a bit more, also did it with them all together.

Name:	Mounting Frame.jpg 
Views:	355 
Size:	167.7 KB 
ID:	10172Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Router Frame.jpg 
Views:	438 
Size:	373.3 KB 
ID:	10173Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Inclined Rev 6 CNC Router.jpg 
Views:	438 
Size:	301.1 KB 
ID:	10171
    Neil...

Build log...here

I've got a friend who's PV mad, he's just bought a load of panels so I can ask him what he's got if you'd like?

Page 12 of 82 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread Information