Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Looks like yours are working better than mine the day after I mounted them:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01111 (Medium).JPG 
Views:	388 
Size:	181.3 KB 
ID:	10618

That's after I'd wiped the snow off!
    They seem to be pumping out voltage and you can see it fluctuate as the sun comes out. Just bought a plug in electricity cost meter to see what some things consume to see what I'll need. Booked a day off this week so I can sort out the shed as it's a right tip with boxes and RC models scattered and piled up everywhere.
    Put the ballscrews in the works lathe and had it on slow today at lunch and took off a couple of thou off the shaft with some emery cloth as it would have been a tight interference fit. Now a nice tight sliding fit on the shaft so happy. Still unhappy that there is play in what should be a fixed bearing, anyone else have this?
    Last edited by njhussey; 11-11-2013 at 03:42 PM.
    Neil...

Build log...here

Well after another couple of months of inactivity I finished welding up the basic frame. I've still got to attach the side rails (and ends) but am unsure whether to bolt them (so I can adjust them so they're level) and then weld them or just weld them as near as possible as I'm going to do the epoxy levelling on them. I presume that It's doubtful that they'll be level enough to mount the linear rails directly on them without some form of levelling? I've no straight edge to measure them with mind...

Attachment shows the frame tacked up previously not welded up before the eagle eyed point this out...!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bed braces.JPG 
Views:	190 
Size:	147.8 KB 
ID:	11291  
    Last edited by njhussey; 16-01-2014 at 03:08 PM.
    Neil...

Build log...here

Looking good Neil.

I think I'd just weld rails in place if you're going to epoxy level them. I can't imagine that bolting them first would improve the final outcome by more than a mm or two for fair bit of work. I've got some brackets if you need them though ;-)

Cheers Graham, preferred method is to weld them rather than bolt and weld!
    Neil...

Build log...here

Today in lunch I finished off a couple of welds on the frame that I missed last week and put the first of the side rails on and tacked the back upper beam on.

Used my bevel box to set the top rail level with the bottom rail. The second rail will be referenced to the first rail later this week when I get back in the workshop.

Name:	welding-20-1-14.jpg 
Views:	355 
Size:	382.2 KB 
ID:	11333Click image for larger version. 

Name:	welding_rail1.jpg 
Views:	344 
Size:	380.3 KB 
ID:	11332Click image for larger version. 

Name:	level_1.jpg 
Views:	344 
Size:	358.7 KB 
ID:	11331Click image for larger version. 

Name:	level_2.jpg 
Views:	339 
Size:	330.0 KB 
ID:	11330

Although you can't see the first reading on the bevel box that well it does say 0.0 and 0.0......much like the second one!!

Once all the rails are welded up then I'll be getting the grinder out (and the welder again to fill any holes etc...!!) to smarten up some of the welds and also to get the bed rail welds flat so the base will sit flush with the frame.

I've still got to cut some squares out to weld in the upright tops for when I do the epoxy levelling. Also got to weld on a couple of stops on the ends to park the gantry up against when not in use.
    Last edited by njhussey; 20-01-2014 at 03:35 PM.
    Neil...

Build log...here

Well after being off sick with stomach cramps for the last 3 days I got into the workshop at lunch to weld the second side rail on and start tidying up the welds. I am quite pleased with the accuracy I got (hopefully) on the rails according to my level box. I referenced the first side rail from the base frame and then using the level I clamped the second rail and referenced that from the base frame front and then kept tapping the rail down with a soft face mallet until it was showing 0.0 & 0.0 all the way from the front to the back. I checked the level again before tacking the rail in place and then checked it again before doing the final welds. I'm still going to epoxy level the rails I think...

I started cleaning up some of the welds but there's a lot of that to be done as my welding is rubbish! I also put on (at Jazz'z suggestion) a piece of 50x6 flat on the end of the rails to act as a stop for the gantry when it goes vertical.

Name:	welding_24-1-14.jpg 
Views:	336 
Size:	398.0 KB 
ID:	11352Click image for larger version. 

Name:	welding1_24-1-14.jpg 
Views:	352 
Size:	383.7 KB 
ID:	11353
    Neil...

Build log...here

Looking good, I like the look of the smaller box section for the bed and triangulation. Are you going to block off the ends of the box with those plastic caps ?

Quote Originally Posted by njhussey View Post
    I started cleaning up some of the welds but there's a lot of that to be done as my welding is rubbish! I also put on (at Jazz'z suggestion) a piece of 50x6 flat on the end of the rails to act as a stop for the gantry when it goes vertical.
    At the moment my machine is back on it's feet for some recent repairs and I can tell you I really miss it being vertical.?
    Not just for the space but for my Back has leaning over the bloody thing to fasten material has been killing me. Didn't realise just how easy it does make fastening and accessing material while it's working.
    Also having to deal with clearing chips again is a pain in the arse and again you don't fully appreciate how much differance it makes until you have to go back.!!

You haven't experienced using flat so you maybe won't fully get what I mean but you will if you ever use it horizontal after being vertical. . .Lol

Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
    Looking good, I like the look of the smaller box section for the bed and triangulation. Are you going to block off the ends of the box with those plastic caps ?
    Thanks Eddie, I'm pretty pleased with how it's turning out...no I'm going to weld plate the ends and grind the welds smooth. Will probably put 20mm thick bits in the bottom and drill and tap M12 for adjustable legs just in case I do leave it horizontal at any time. :)
    Neil...

Build log...here

Page 18 of 82 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast

Thread Information