. .
Page 25 of 82 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575 ... LastLast
    I've not had time to do anything more yet unfortunately. Handed my notice in today so got 4 weeks to get it finished ready to get it home to carry on with it in the shed. Will be trying to do some more in lunch tomorrow, got the adjustable feet plates to weld onto the frame then it will be doing the epoxy.
    Neil...

Build log...here

Having some gear at home is essential, if it wasn't for a bandsaw that can cut wood and metal and a pneumatic overhead pin router that can cut wood and aluminium I would be knackered to do it myself.
    Handing your notice in is both a wonderful and scary thing all at the same time, I've tried it several times myself.
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 24-02-2014 at 11:54 PM.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 40 Minutes Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Will be trying to do some more in lunch tomorrow, got the adjustable feet plates to weld onto the frame then it will be doing the epoxy.
    It might be better to do the epoxy when you are back at home and the frame is in its final position. Just a thought ..Clive

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    It might be better to do the epoxy when you are back at home and the frame is in its final position. Just a thought ..Clive
    Hi Clive, there's no room in the shed at the moment (still boxes of stuff waiting to be unpacked from when I moved 10 months ago) so I can't really bring it back home and do the epoxy there. It needs a good clear out and shelves made to put things on but as my wedding is less than 4 weeks away now there's too much to do in the evenings and weekends with final preparations etc. Also the shed is too cold at the moment so doing the epoxy in a warm works is far more preferable I think. Eventually it will be mounted vertically but I still have to weld the supporting frame for that...
    Last edited by njhussey; 25-02-2014 at 10:28 AM.
    Neil...

Build log...here

Well got out in the works for 1/2 hour just now...miracles do happen!!

Managed to drill some holes on some 40 x 40mm flat and weld on some M12 nuts to the back. These are for adjusting the frame flat whilst the epoxy is setting, they won't be used for feet as it's going to be vertically mounted......eventually.

Managed to weld in one of the feet and tidy up a bit with the angle grinder. Also put the top part of the gantry on and stitch welded it to the bottom half making the L shape. Camera died before I could get a picture of it though...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	feet.jpg 
Views:	328 
Size:	251.8 KB 
ID:	11769
    Neil...

Build log...here

All feet are prepped up and the second one is tacked in to the frame. I'm in the workshop for 3 hours tomorrow morning so hope to get lots done as there will be no: setting up...do 10 mins welding...then put it all away again...I hope!
    Neil...

Build log...here

Don't do a 'rush and regret' job on it, which I sometimes succumb to myself
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Won't be rushing, not huge amounts to do. Want to get the epoxy on tomorrow...
    Neil...

Build log...here

This mornings progress...

Ground all the welds flat that needed it. Tacked on a piece of 50x50 angle as the bridge between the rails.

Realised I'd left the stop plate unwelded on the top so put a run if weld down and ground it back. Now the epoxy won't leak there.

Frame being forklifted round to the test bay, no point carrying it when there's the equipment to do it for you!

Frame tucked away and feet adjusted so it sits level.

Sat out the way in a corner...

What's missing from here? Yep my digital scales so no epoxy mixed and poured today :(

All moats in place. Used masking tape to seal the gaps.

Put the gantry on the frame and shimmed it level and 90 degrees to the x axis mounts.

All ready for the pour which will be first thing Monday morning before work. Not a bad 3 hours work this morning really.
    Neil...

Build log...here

Great job !, and a good wide epoxyduct between the rails, wasteful but necessary to get good flow and hence level all round. Pity about the scales, or lack of should I say.
    Did the draught excluder go on okay ? give it a good pressing down all round just prior to pouring.
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 08-03-2014 at 08:50 PM.

Page 25 of 82 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575 ... LastLast

Thread Information