. .
Page 27 of 82 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by charlieuk View Post
    the epoxy will never cure unfortunately it is the wrong type of chemical reaction you are best to strip it all off now clean up the mess and start a fresh. I made a similar mistake on my first surfboard i made! you will only do it once. I make sure i always zero the scales before adding the hardener as it saves simple mistakes. The other time this can happen is if you do not mix the two parts well enuff but sounds like you know were the problem came from.
    To be honest I'm just hoping the oven makes it a bit harder so I can get it off easier...yes I'll only make this mistake once. Not an expensive one but just made lots of hard work for a stupid mistake. I mixed it really thoroughly in one container and then poured it into the ice cream tub and mixed it again well so I know it's not that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wobblycogs View Post
    We need a Homer Simpson "Doh!" emoticon for just this situation.

That's a real shame as it seemed to be going so well. It's going to be an pretty awful clean up job as well I'd reckon. I hope the drying oven works but I can't believe it will, your epoxy wouldn't achieve anywhere near it's maximum hardness anyway.
    Yeah it's going to be a mess to clear up...oh well s**t happens. I'll leave the cleaning up until after the honeymoon, hopefully 10 days all inclusive in a Deluxe Penthouse apartment in Mauritius will chill me out...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Honeymoon.jpg 
Views:	282 
Size:	228.5 KB 
ID:	11827
    Last edited by njhussey; 12-03-2014 at 05:22 PM.
    Neil...

Build log...here

I fancy giving this epoxy leveling technique a try. Can anyone recommend a good source and type of epoxy for the job.
    CNC routing and prototyping services www.cncscotland.co.uk

ADD ME ON FACEBOOKS

Quote Originally Posted by gavztheouch View Post
    I fancy giving this epoxy leveling technique a try. Can anyone recommend a good source and type of epoxy for the job.
    There are various ones:

West system 105 with the 209 slow hardner
    Easy Composites
    Reactive Resins Syntac EPAFD Slow Cure Epoxy Resin Pack
    Infusion resin's

To name but 4. Most on here use Wests, Eddycurrent and I (although I've not mixed it correctly) have used Reactive resin and Jazz uses Infusions resins....take your pick!
    Last edited by njhussey; 12-03-2014 at 05:44 PM.
    Neil...

Build log...here

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 13 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Neil Sorry about the cock up, it happens, its called a learning curve. I was going to comment on the mixing in your picture but now you are doing it again I will. You appear to have mixed it with a round rod I don't think that is good I think you need to do it with a flat piece of thin plywood or plastic as it will mix better. It says that on the WestSystem info about the correct way to mix and not to have the temp to high 20C is about right. Hope you don't mind me pointing this out. ..Clive

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

I came to this thread for sanctuary but it looks like you're having as many problems as I am, sorry to hear about the epoxy.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Quote Originally Posted by njhussey View Post
    Yeah it's going to be a mess to clear up...oh well s**t happens. I'll leave the cleaning up until after the honeymoon, hopefully 10 days all inclusive in a Deluxe Penthouse apartment in Mauritius will chill me out...
    Bollocks to that, you want a B&B in Whitby then spend what you was going to on that 5* place on a really nice CNC machine.!!. . . .You'd proabaly have change for an extension to the shed has well. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    Neil Sorry about the cock up, it happens, its called a learning curve. I was going to comment on the mixing in your picture but now you are doing it again I will. You appear to have mixed it with a round rod I don't think that is good I think you need to do it with a flat piece of thin plywood or plastic as it will mix better. It says that on the WestSystem info about the correct way to mix and not to have the temp to high 20C is about right. Hope you don't mind me pointing this out. ..Clive
    Cheers Clive, yep learning curve all right. Just peed off with myself for making such a stupid error. I did mix the epoxy for at least 5 minutes very vigerously in the first container and once poured into the tub again for at least another 5 minutes before pouring it. I will use a flat piece of wood next time. That picture I took was after pouring it (from approx 2' above the tub) into the tub from the forst pot where most of the bubbles had been knocked out.

Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
    I came to this thread for sanctuary but it looks like you're having as many problems as I am, sorry to hear about the epoxy.
    Cheers, I'll scrape it off and get some more epoxy and do it correctly this time! They're not problems, just small hurdles to get over...all part of the challenge!

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Bollocks to that, you want a B&B in Whitby then spend what you was going to on that 5* place on a really nice CNC machine.!!. . . .You'd proabaly have change for an extension to the shed has well. . .
    You saying my CNC machine isn't going to be really nice eh...eh?? Yeah for the price of the Honeymoon I could have just bought a really nice CNC machine, but where's the fun in that? Much rather make it myself...
    Neil...

Build log...here

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Only slightly cheaper than our honeymoon: a long weekend in Lincon. I don't remember getting to spend any more on the CNC though.

If Lincon is Lincoln its lovely, as are the natives. G.

Had a quick look at the epoxy this morning, had a quick test peel and it should come off OK...still going to be messy mind....
    Neil...

Build log...here

Page 27 of 82 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777 ... LastLast

Thread Information