Just how important is this degassing anyway? I stirred my resin vigorously, let it settle for a few minutes, then poured. I didn't even use the "pour through a small hole" technique. There were some bubbles in the resin as poured, but I paddled a bit of lolly stick back and forth to encourage the resin to find its own level, and also to remove bubbles. The few that were left were very easy to deal with once the resin was hard. It's not something that I'm going to spend much time worrying about when I come to epoxy the gantry rail mountings. For reference, that was using 500g resin/250g hardener on a similar size machine.
Ive not got access to a vacuum pump but I'm not too concerned about it as before I did the two pot mixing and pouring through a hole from about 12" and there were very few bubbles. Those that did form were dealt with by a piece of welding wire (didn't have a cocktail stick at work) which as Neale said also helped it find its level.
Cleaned the rails with thinners and used a tack rag to get all rubbish off then put silicone sealant down and put the oiled moat back on. Now waiting for the sealant to go off overnight so I can trim it back inside and then tomorrow am I'll do the epoxy mix and pour. That way it'll have 10 days over Xmas to set!
Last edited by njhussey; 22-12-2014 at 04:29 PM.
Well......epoxy pour is done....triple weighed everything and double checked...
Leveled the frame on the floor...
Weighed the epoxy out...
Weighed the harder out...
Mixed it in a cut down 2 litre milk carton first...
Then transfered to a flatter container with a 7mm (ish) hole drilled in a bottom corner with tape over...poured it from a couple of feet high to mix it as it was transferring
Stirred it some more then poured it in the moat with fingers crossed for no leaks....
There are a few bubbles but a quick swizz with a lollipop stick and they went. There are a few microscropic bubbles but I'm not too worried about them...
There are 3 leaks, one from a corner joint on the bridge, and 2 where there must be a gap under the wood. Happy with that as they were stopped with some paper towel and parcel tape.
You could see the epoxy going across the bridge where it was leveling itself off so it obviously works!
Clive, I used a flat stirring stick this time
Last edited by njhussey; 23-12-2014 at 02:07 PM.
Nearly all bubbles have gone, leaks have been stopped so now I can stop crawling round on the floor...
Neil Looking good as you know I just flashed the surface with the hot air gun and the small bubbles just disappeared like magic. Happy Xmas. ..Clive
The Following User Says Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you Clive.
Blowtorch as in naked flame!! Hot air gun no naked flame. Happy new year as well. ..Clive
Hooray ! it's done, the build will speed up now that hurdle is out of the way, looks good and a plus for Reactive ResinsSpelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted
The Following User Says Thank You to EddyCurrent For This Useful Post:
By totally useless in forum Open Source Designs & PlansReplies: 25Last Post: 05-05-2014, 12:44 AM
By berk in forum Gantry/Router Machines & BuildingReplies: 7Last Post: 12-01-2014, 03:15 PM
BUILD LOG: CNC Router New BuildBy PilotTom in forum DIY Router Build LogsReplies: 12Last Post: 25-05-2013, 03:49 PM
BUILD LOG: A3 Router BuildBy GTJim in forum DIY Router Build LogsReplies: 6Last Post: 17-02-2012, 12:53 PM
By ali hedi in forum Gantry/Router Machines & BuildingReplies: 5Last Post: 06-07-2011, 11:58 PM